Fishing! Salt & Fresh Water. Tackle, Bait. Discuss fishing tips, tricks and techniques.

Fresh water fishing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh water fishing

This thread is created to talk about fresh water fishing. I live in the middle of the country so salt water is out for me. Though, I have done a little while on vacation in various parts of the world. So..talk about it. Lures, rods, reels, technique, gear, fish species...everything applies here.

I'm into bass...both large and small mouth with a few Kentucky's in there. Mainly black bass though. I fish for crappie, trout, catfish, bluegill, white bass, spoonbill, suckers, and just about anything else that lives in the Missouri rivers, ponds, and lakes! I love to take my kids out and enjoy the time together, and see their enjoyment when catching fish.

I eat just about any kind of fish, but rarely keep bass, as I like to think of them as a sport fish. Fried is my favorite, but baked, and grilled is good too!

I've been fishing with a few custom rods my buddy made from some St. Croix blanks and using Quantum reels, though, I have used about everything out there. I have 10 rods and about 12 reels, not including my fly fishing gear.

So, maybe this thread can be used as a tool for others. Maybe we can pass along info as far as to whats biting, where, and on what. Good luck, and fish on!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I go fishing al the time,its the reason I got into ATV because some spots no 4wd truck can make in. I live in Northern Ontario Canada,we mostly fish for Speckled trout,I think Americans call the Brook trout or Brookies. We also fish for pickerel (Walleye).

Here is my last nice size Brook trout.

Name:  guys3lbspeck.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  205.1 KB

Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Mr.Dumass just curious about where you live. I live in the Kansas City area.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

My wife says fishing is my mistress as I fish year round even when the mercury dips well below 0 f.
I have a G. Loomis for my bass rod, a st. croix for a fly rod, an okuma for wide rivers and pier fishing, a black beauty for back up pier rod ( my el-cheapo loaner rod for buddies that tag along LOL) then a bunch of big fishing store rods for back up rods. I live on a small lake with outstanding bass fishing on it. I'm not so much into bass fishing usually have my fly rod and river rods with me where ever I go, but I do go out and bass fish when I have company over that want to fish. In the past 2 years I have pulled 3 largies over 9lbs out of the lake. I mostly stick to salmon, steelhead, and trout.
Spend many a nights in the living room tying up flies, If i try something new and it doesnt work for trout I save it for the bass they will eat anything LOL. My wife relinquished her hold on a fridge in the garage when I started storing my spawn in the fridge and freezer

I usually fry up my fish on the grill... throw down a bunch of butter on a tinfoil made tray let it melt the put the slabs on that n salt n pepper em up nicely... mmmm yummy

that is a very nice speckled trout ya go there TLC

Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally Posted by noooooo
Mr.Dumass just curious about where you live. I live in the Kansas City area.

Way over on the other side of the state. Southwest of St. Louis about 80-90 miles....in a small town off interstate 44.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

And I live right between you two small town in north central MO... Marceline.

Nice trout btw TLC, have to get some pic myself, been doing ALOT of fishing past few weeks just never took any pics, maybe get some by next week

Old 05-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Caught plenty of brookies on anything from live bait to spinners like Mepps or Rooster Tails. Have done some salt water as I am only 40 minutes or so from the ocean. Caught a cooler full of cod when I was younger. Mostly fish for trout, bass, and Northern Pike. Caught a 33" pike on Lake Hortonia, VT on a Rooster Tail. Son caught a 31" on Lake Dunmore also in VT. Forgot steel leader and lost a big one on a local river in my home town of Billerica. Mostly using chartreuse or flourescent orange Rooster Tails. Have caught plenty of panfish in my day also.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i too live in missouri, just about 20 miles south of st louis. Ive been doing alot of fishing lately, mostly in farm ponds. Nothing to brag about so far, but its all fun no matter the size of the fish. Although we were catching some 15" crappie and a whole lot of bass and huge bluegill,infact i caught a 12" bluegill on a red spinner bait when i was bass fishing. i should have had it mounted,instead i ate it but i got pics.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider

My 6 year old daughter caught a 4 1/2 lb channel cat on a little kids lightning mcqueen pole. Followed up by a 2 1/2 lb channel cat. All this while my 3 year old son was throwing a fit and stomping on his pole because it would not cast to his satisfaction. Its the mothers curse.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by noooooo
My 6 year old daughter caught a 4 1/2 lb channel cat on a little kids lightning mcqueen pole. Followed up by a 2 1/2 lb channel cat. All this while my 3 year old son was throwing a fit and stomping on his pole because it would not cast to his satisfaction. Its the mothers curse.

lol I know how that goes!

Quick Reply: Fresh water fishing