General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Bude Man Killed In ATV Wreck

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodiak450_06
I was just curious, if your throttle was sticking, then how come you just didn't push the kill switch? Or do you not have a kill switch on your atv?
I can only imagine that in the pychosis of the moment, you loose all ability to rationally think about simple things like that. You're just trying to figure out WTF is going on and then it's over. Damn good thing to think about though Kodiak.....remember the kill switch.

Sad story. I lost my brother in a car accident about four years ago. Turned our family inside out. Seems like yesterday, and expect it always will.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

May God bless your family!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

I am sorry to hear of the loss. His atv brothers, sisters, friends, and family will miss him.

If the throttle ever sticks for anyone else, wouldnt it be possible to shift the atv into neutral? I know that if this happens on a car, all you have to do is shift the car into neutral and step on the breaks till your vehicle comes to a stop. It wont slow the RPMs of the engine down at all but it will take the atv out of gear. I am not sure if this will work on atvs or not but just thought id throw the idea out there. Isnt the neutral gear position just under or above the drive position on the gear shifter? If it is, just shift the atv to the neutral position and come safetly to a stop. I understand that when you are in that situation, it is hard to concentrate and think of a logical way to stop the atv without causing harm to yourself, but if you have this knowledge and you think of it automatically in this kind of emergency situation, it could be a life saver.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

The kill switch was a better idea than my "shifting to neutral method." But it was worth a shot.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SuziOzark
The kill switch was a better idea than my "shifting to neutral method." But it was worth a shot.
That would be hard to accurately do in a severe distress situation, but still a good point! Any option you have could be a life saver. Good stuff to think about and ingrain into the brain.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider

I automatically by instinct, immediately look to shut off engine when it sticks. I do not want the engine to wind up failing because it is over reving or what have you. I've had engines rev on me because of failed componets in the past, and first thing that comes to mind is "shut it off". The kill switch is there for a good reason, not just for a leasure reason.

Yes on a Grizzley, it would be very simple to shift atv into N and would also be a way to stop it from moving. But imagine being on an atv and say your are doing 16-20 mph, and driving in a wooded area or another area with obstacles, you would be more concerned holding on to the handle bars, then taking one hand off to put it N. Or unless ofcoarse you have a Manual transmission.

I think more saftey restrictions could be in place on an atv for those who would opt for it, like a plastic key that you can have tied to your wrist like a wave runner, where you simply pull your hand away until the string or cord pulls key out and kills engine. The kill switch is kinda small on the grizzely, and having a winch controller on the handlebars and starter button would confuse some who weren't familar with unit, to knowingly know what button to push during a potential problem. That is why it is a very good rule of thumb to know exactly what button controls what. The kill switch itself is within thumbs reach on R side of handlebars, and is easily accessable.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad story.........

A stuck throttle on a manual ATV is no big deal...... I've been there and you just pull in the clutch and the drama is over.....

On an auto, or belt driven ATV......well I'm not sure you will always have time to hit the kill switch or shift to neutral.......

My Father had a Polaris Scrambler 400 a few years ago that was built by Hot Seat.... it was scary fast and the throttle stuck on me once......I pulled the weak-**** Polaris single brake and stomped the rear brake but nothing was stopping it.... I was lucky because I was able to steer through the trees until I could get my hand off the bars and turn the key/kill off........

FWIW I have not heard of other Grizzly 660s having this issue, not to the epidemic level for recall......

The fact that he had no helmet, but didn't die from a head injury should not give anyone the idea that a helmet is optional. Maybe a chest protector could have helped too, but maybe not....... no safety gear is 100% effective, some tragedies cannot be prevented....

Prayers to his family and friends........

Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Range Rover

Sister,

I'm sorry to hear about your brothers accident, my prayers to you, your family and friends.

Dale

Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kill Switch

J.W. new and taught his two sons and wife ATV safety and knew to hit the kill switch or even turn the key off, unfortunately from the start point to the time he hit the tree, there wasn't enough time to think.

Thank everyone for their comments and please be safe!!!!!!

Broken Harted

Sister

Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for your loss.

Quick Reply: Bude Man Killed In ATV Wreck