General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
dang!! ....Speed kills, It really amazes me that some ppl are that stupid and selfish that they have no concern for others. Its sad the rider took out two innocent ppl and not just himself.
I'm not condoning travelling at such high speeds in what could be dangerous conditions but who is the innocent party here? The bike hit the SIDE of the car, which suggests that either the bike passed through a STOP/GIVE WAY sign or lights OR the car pulled out of a junction in to the path of the bike.

If it was the latter of these, it's the biker who is the victim of the driver's poor observation!

Don't jump to conclusions!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmccabe
I'm not condoning travelling at such high speeds in what could be dangerous conditions but who is the innocent party here? The bike hit the SIDE of the car, which suggests that either the bike passed through a STOP/GIVE WAY sign or lights OR the car pulled out of a junction in to the path of the bike.

If it was the latter of these, it's the biker who is the victim of the driver's poor observation!

Don't jump to conclusions!
There's no jumping to conclusions here. At 227 feet per a second the biker was handing his self to numerous disasters. Theres no judging that before you pull out or cross an intersection. The biker killed his self and innocent people plain and simple.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
There's no jumping to conclusions here. At 227 feet per a second the biker was handing his self to numerous disasters. Theres no judging that before you pull out or cross an intersection. The biker killed his self and innocent people plain and simple.
There is very little in the way of explanation of the circumstances of this incident, so you can't judge it in such a simplistic manner. It's every driver's responsibility to ensure that (within reason) it is safe for them to pull out of a junction. There are a huge number of incidents in the UK where drivers misjudge when it is safe, so I imagine there are many incidents like this in other countries. This is particularly true where motorcyclists are involved in T-bone accidents.

Ask yourself this question, if the motorcyclist was doing 70mph but was approx half the distance away from the car when it pulled out* what would the outcome be?

One other thing worth asking is, what kind of bike is it? As far as I can tell it looks like it's most probably a Honda NC24 or NC30, both of which are 400cc V4s that would have trouble exceeding 130mph without significant modification. So the Police's claims that the bike was probably doing 155mph could be nonsense. Of course it's possible it's an RC30 which would be capable of reaching that sort of speed but it's unlikely that someone who has just recently passed their test would be riding one of those (at least legally!).

*I'm not making any absolute claim that the driver was the party at fault here, just trying to make the discussion more balanced.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Range Rover

Man! This is the kinda thing that people pray don't happen to them! But this guy was not so lucky!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider

i had to read this a few times. you repeted the same story.

but you call this idiot control. to bad for the people who werent doing anything wrong.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

I see people being idiots all the time on their "crotch rockets", It is very stupid to drive one of these things like that! A local kid was killed just two days ago, he rear ended a car at high speed when it turned onto the same street he was on. And to top it off he was NOT wearing a helmet!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by rancher55
I see people being idiots all the time on their "crotch rockets", It is very stupid to drive one of these things like that! A local kid was killed just two days ago, he rear ended a car at high speed when it turned onto the same street he was on. And to top it off he was NOT wearing a helmet!
Was there a give way sign that the car missed/ignored?

The situation you're describing sounds just like the original post (although, as I mentioned before, we don't have the full details) someone pulls out in front of a bike that's going too fast.

Not wearing a helmet is (in my opinion) pretty stupid (even where it's not a legal requirement). Also not wearing gloves is very, very stupid on any vehicle where you can fall (or be pushed) off and yes, not being careful about your speed where some idiot can pull out in to your path is also pretty stupid. However there is always that risk in any vehicle.

Ultimately though, the fact that the rider was going at a high speed should NOT remove any liability from the person that pulled out in front of him.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Statistically, this accident was the cars fault. By far, most fatal motorcycle accidents are due to the car driver not seeing the motorcyclist, and pulling out in front of the motorcycle. That is probably what happened in this case as well. However, a car driver would never even think to look far enough down the street to see a motorcycle coming at 155 mph. They would have to be looking about a block farther down the street than most people are used to looking for oncoming traffic. So in this case the fault is with the motorcyclist, for sure, and possibly also from the car driver. Too bad all three people had to die in this accident.

The motorcyclist should have never been riding at that speed on the street. That is just common sense. Its real easy to hit those speeds with sport bikes. Although I'm not sure of the top speed of that actual model, I do know that my FZ-1 will hit an indicated speed of 165 mph. The bikes are surprisingly steady and well planted feeling at that speed. The technology to achieve that is pretty amazing if you ask me. Hitting anything at that speed would not be survivable though, so it needs to be done in a controlled environment (race track). No one should ride at those speeds on the street.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

i personally know someone who hit an SUV at 120-130mph & SURVIVED-didnt kill anyone!!

no ****-this lucky bastard T-boned a damn SUV, the bike flipped up & launched him through 2 back windows & back out onto the pavement, rolling & breaking every bone work breaking.

hes fully recovered now (its been a few years), but the suv was BENT from the impact-thankfully no one was hurt.

a friend of mine also bought the bike, yanked the motor, & put it on a dune buggy-so even the heart of the bike survived!! (although he flipped it the first time he rode it & it blew up before he could kill it-so sad).

if i remember correctly this bike was a 600-650 high revver-not sure of the make or year though (4 cylinder though)

Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Couple thoughts.. I wonder if the top of the car cut the rider in half? Also wonder how they got the passenger out without pulling the bike out? Can you imagine seeing something like that in person? Just a gross thought.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle hits car at 155 mph...