General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Winch...I'm so confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch...I'm so confused

I've spent the last few days researching winches. All I've done is confuse myself more.

I'm looking at Viper, Gorilla, and KFI. All three have sealed motors and the viper claims total water proof. Now my quad doesn't have a snorkel because I'm not planning on going water wheeling but where the winch mounts, it's going to get under water now and then.

The KFI is a bit more pricey. the only thing it has that the viper and gorilla don't, in my searching anyway, is metal clutch gearing. I've read enough reviews to know that viper and gorilla both have fans and haters. There is not much info out there on the KFI though.

I guess my question is this...is the metal clutch gearing worth the $50 or so dollars more and does anyone have experience with KFI winches?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Gorilla and i go through my share of mud and water and it just ruined my winch the gears are fine but the electric motor is junk my sugesstion is just get one of these cheaper ones for right now that way you get all of the mounting plates and solinoids and if it gos out on you go out and buy a warn, milemarker, or a superwinch and if it dont go out on you then you are better off than I was.