General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

thoughts on cheap(er) winches

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an X-treme winch I bought off E-bay. (basically the same as a Gorilla or Viper). It uses a contactor and I've had real good luck with it. It's a well built unit and is waterproof.(yes I sink it on a regular basis). Don't use it all the time but it gets me out of stuff that I have no business getting in to.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I posted this to get some ideas for my wifes christmas present to me. Think I will refer to twards the super winches, vipers, or gorillas.

I ride a 05 Kodiak 450 that I have been fixing up so what lb strength would you go after? I'm thinking 2500 just because its not but a little more.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my Rancher it had a Cabelas brand winch.......I have no idea who really makes it. It was used hard before I got it too as the wire it all frayed and kinked......But it works like a dog every winter while plowing and so far so good......I've used it to winch rocks and trees building our racetrack.....

To be honest I half expected to have to replace it by now......I remember thinking "A Cabelas winch? That can't be too good" ........ But its been pretty darn good.......Its not something I would probably ever buy on my own, but as long as it works I won't replace it......

Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

I went with Warn because I feel that a winch is one of those mods you shouldn't skimp on. When a winch goes bad it's usually in a pinch where a bad situation gets REAL bad!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

I have been calling mine a "Not so Superwinch".

I've had a 1500 Superwinch on my 01 Arctic Cat 250 4x4 for years and am not impressed.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by **sTiNkfOot**
I went with Warn because I feel that a winch is one of those mods you shouldn't skimp on. When a winch goes bad it's usually in a pinch where a bad situation gets REAL bad!
We Bronco fans appreciate you guy giveing up Dawkins. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Go with a Gorilla/Promark. Yes, they are made in China.

But so were the Warns I saw at the dealership.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

I almost went with a Gorilla until their customer service made me run away quickly. I know I've read all the posts on here about their excellent cs, but I certainly got the other side of it. Not going to get into it because I already wasted alot of time in dealing with them and don't intend to waste any more of it, but long story short, they lost 4 potential sales because of a $60 wireless winch control they would not stand behind... So, Superwinch got my business. $60.00!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Go with Warn or Ramsey or regret it!!!! Nothing worse than having to hike out of the back 40 to get help with a stuck atv!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
We Bronco fans appreciate you guy giveing up Dawkins. Thanks!

I wish luck only to your safety position next week!

Quick Reply: thoughts on cheap(er) winches