ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Cable snapped on plow! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/321661-cable-snapped-plow.html)

Troyboy68 12-20-2009 07:40 AM

Cable snapped on plow!

Whats up everyone,,
Question, first time snowplowing about 10 minutes into it my darn cable snapped, im up here in Ct and we getting a snow storm(thank god i kept my snow blower) but is it because the snows to deep? its about a foot right now,or do i just need to buy the synthetic rope? and if so, what sizes do you recomend? and also do i need an upgraded pully system?? appreciate all the help you can give thanks.
Troy

tencubed 12-20-2009 01:37 PM

A heavy cargo strap works well. Remove the remaining cable from the winch drum, attach the cargo strap using a bolt or whatever method works on your drum, wind a few raps around the drum and hook the loose end to your blade.

You don't have a lot of length available but for plowing it works well.

I'm assuming you have a fairlead on the winch as running without one doesn't work very well.

The straps I'm suggesting are the heavy ones used on trucks to hold down loads.

Mike

aaronrkelly 12-20-2009 05:20 PM

1 foot of snow shouldnt have caused that.....chalk it up to a bad cable and try again.

chuck_raduenz 12-20-2009 06:37 PM

bad cable. shouldnt matter how much snow you have. iv been useing the same wire cable for the last 3yrs. but this winter i whent to a 10' synthetic cable. most common is 3/16" for the winch. also get a diffent fairled if you change to syn rope. nothing else is needed. i also added a spring inbetwwen the plow and my syn rope so it dont strain the rope, and or bend something.

ss97 12-20-2009 07:17 PM

With cable you can cut and loop it, and lock it back down with some cable clamps, and reuse it quickly.

jleo 12-20-2009 07:47 PM

Check to make sure your cable isnt rubbing against something that caused it to break.

Troyboy68 12-21-2009 03:39 AM

What happen is it snapped right under the loop where the hook is attached,im gonna call the dealership this morning,see if he can replace it,, thanks guys!

Troyboy68 12-24-2009 05:31 AM

Well i got it fixed, the atv mechanic said i was raising the plow up to much,putting to much tork on the cable,i gotta eye it and not raise it so high, its to bad they dont have some sort of automatic stop so it wouldn't keep winching.

chuck_raduenz 12-24-2009 05:36 AM

get an hd exstenion spring. or a hd door compresion spring. iv got both. the exstension spring iv been useing iv been haveing issues with the end hooks spreading. so now im gona try the door compression spring.

BUS33 12-24-2009 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Troyboy68 (Post 2878356)
Well i got it fixed, the atv mechanic said i was raising the plow up to much,putting to much tork on the cable,i gotta eye it and not raise it so high, its to bad they dont have some sort of automatic stop so it wouldn't keep winching.

This has happened to me a couple of times. Just have to be aware when you lift it up. I carry a couple of clamps to fix it if I am in a pinch. I usually just tie the cable in a knot then clamp the tag end. It works out pretty well...just a pain to do when your fingers are froze.

I am toying with the idea of switching to rope.