General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Winch question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch question

I was pulling a Razer out of a mud hole with my Warn winch the other day when I saw smoke come up from the fron of my Kawi Brute Force. It smelt like a burning clutch. I am assuming that this was my clutch to the winch burning up, cus it stopped working and now when I push the switch, I hear a clicking sound coming from under my seat(where the winch relay is) and nothing happens. Does anyone know it there is a good place to get detailed instructions on replacing the winch clutch, and where the best place is to buy one? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

What Warn do you have?

Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

there is no clutch in a winch. the only thing resembling a clutch is the **** to turn from freespool to engaged. if there was such a thing as a clutch your motor would still spin but would not reel the spool in. sounds to me like you either burned the motor armature up or perhaps one of the fittings where the line hooks to the motor.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

call warn,they come with a limited lifetime warranty. They may rebuild it for you. mine just got fixed with no questions, just told me where to send it. Some ask why buy an expensive warn when others are cheaper? This is why i spend the extra money for a namebrand tool. Me getting stuck in the middle of know where is not an option,and if i do because i know they all wont work correctly, there is always a lemon out there. then i know the problem is fixed for free.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You haven't said anything about how you have maintained it in the past. Mud, dirt and grime take their toll on a winch, and you really need to do some maintennce on it from time to time. If you ride through mud, or any time you use the winch, when you get home, pull it all the way out and clean, clean, clean....