General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Any interesting ways to store ATVS/dirt bikes....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any interesting ways to store ATVS/dirt bikes....

Ive got a garage full....literally.

My son is outgrowing stuff before my daughter can move into it.....and I just cant make myself sell something only to buy it back later.

Hes riding an LT80 and moving up to a Honda 250ex (assuming all goes well when I got to look at it tomorrow). Shes only 4.....and very small - currently riding a Kazuma 50cc Wombat. Shes not going to be moving up for awhile....probably looking at 2 years atleast.

The LT80 is in great shape but I will take a beating on selling it compared to the work Ive done.......and I will just have to buy another and start over again in 2 years for her.......so Ive reasoned I have to store it.

Problem is I just dont have the room......there is no more maneuvering to be done......it just cant happen. I did all the re-organizing I could do to fit my last purchase in the garage.

Ive considered draining the fuel......and literally hanging it from the rafters......or on the wall.

Anyone ever do this? Ive got two places spotted where it wouldnt be a problem with it sticking out away from the wall.

Near as I can tell I have a couple options. Short pieces of chain around rafters......and then around the front bumper or frame. I could run 2 pieces of chain and divide the load across two rafters - shouldnt be a problem.

.......or come up with some type of bracket welded out of angle iron to "hang" it on where its supported from the wall.

I dont see any long term issues with the 4 wheeler staying in this state.....can you think of any?

Next year I suspect I will be doing the same thing with this TTR90 as he will be ready to move up......and she will likely still be riding the JR50.......then again he probably will still be working to pay off this ATV so maybe he will be broke enough I wont have to worry about it for a couple years. Either way the dirt bike can be "walled" in it natural upright state.....so no real worries there.

Any advice?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Trailblazer

Well they are small ATV's right,not like mid or fullsized,I would store them outside mabe in a lil shed,building one is not hard or buy one,if you build I would look in your local paper for a gen handy man most are hard up for work and should not cost you alot..

Far as the gas and all just add dry gas or whats that stuff you see on TV to use,"goes like bob just pulled his boat out after 6 mos and did not use XXX"

Maybe even run them a bit once a month?

Crime

Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Range Rover

yeah i think its time to get a shed for your long term storage issues.....

Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

You could do a atv stacker. Essentially a lift or rack that raises one atv off the ground and you can park another underneath it.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

wish I had a answer for you but I am also out of room moved the blaster to where the boat is stored left three quads in garage had to make a rack to store all my sand tires what a mess!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 AM
Trailblazer

Just had a thought how about asking a ATV dealer for one of the old shipping crates,I would guess that they would give them to you,all the do is toss them and you could stack ATV's that way.

Crime

Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by crimescene
Just had a thought how about asking a ATV dealer for one of the old shipping crates,I would guess that they would give them to you,all the do is toss them and you could stack ATV's that way.

Crime
Actually thats not a bad idea......or a variation of it. Small ATVs take up FAR less room with the wheels off......if I take the wheels off this LT80 I can almost put it on one of my industrial strength shelving units. They are made specifically to hold a row of industrial batteries.....which can weigh more then the little ATV - if not I can put it in a crate like you said, in fact I think the metal crate my sons first chinese ATV came in is around somewhere.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Pro Rider

Spent the last 2 days in my garage with $100 worth of shelving material......made a huge difference. Ive got all 12 bikes, 6 atvs and my riding mower in there along with all my tools, a computer, chairs, work bench etc.......still have room to pull 1 car in and work all the way around it or squish 2 in there tightly......and all my stuff (bikes and ATVs) can be driven straight out without having to jockey stuff around.

Worked great.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Range Rover

Congrats on your job,now the trick is to keep it that way!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got any pictures of this triumph?

Quick Reply: Any interesting ways to store ATVS/dirt bikes....