General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

winch water proofing !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation winch water proofing !!

can ANYONE tell me how to keep water out of my winch and the controll box i ahve tryed to put silicone all around it and where ever I THOUGHT water would get in ! BUT ! yep it got in so now i'm on my 2nd winch so can anyone give me some ideas !!!!

thefuzz65@yahoo.com

Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

what kind of winch do you have? You know warn winches have a lifetime warranty and i think its just the 2500 lb and up winches are sealed. maybe even the lower rated winches by warn. I've always had warn and always had them under water/mud, never had an issue. For your problem, take it apart and silicone the entire thing.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Range Rover

you must have a really cheap winch, i've got a chicago electric 3k lb winch thats been submerged quite a few times and its never given me any problems? was less than 100 bux at harbor freight too

Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

yer RIT ! it was cheep ! but it too is a chicago electric 3k from harbor freight this is the 2nd one i have had on my atv the 1st one lasted about 3months...

Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Buy a Warn XP Winch!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicago lol that is the funniest **** I have ever seen made. You dont buy that crap unless you plan on using the tool once and throwing it away. Plus really risking your atv sitting in mub for days or hours because you got the worlds cheapest winch.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

your best bet is buy the best winch for your needs. If you like buying $60 winches and replacing them every 3 months then go for it,but if you want something to last forever,with a lifetime warranty then buy a warn or something along them lines. It just dont make sense why someone would buy a $7,000 atv(and yours may not be that much. this is just an example.) and put a $60 winch on it. if you have the money to buy the atv,then you probably have $300 to put towards a winch that will last. Its like saying "i bought a ferrari,but dont have gas money".What good is it then?!! I can honestly say its been worth the money for my warn. I use it for everything,not just being stuck. Can warn give you problems? Yes,not usually and if it does it gets fixed for FREE. im not trying to put you down im just saying spend the extra and get a better winch. You get what you pay for! If you need a winch a.s.a.p. but dont have the money or dont want to spend the money,then maybe get a cheaper warn winch like a 1,000 lb or 1,500lb winch and use a pulley. This will double the weight from 1,500lbs to 3,000lbs. Search the net, you can find some decent deals. i payed $310 for a 3,000lb warn xp(red) with synthetic rope,shipped. good luck.

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by codyspratt
yer RIT ! it was cheep ! but it too is a chicago electric 3k from harbor freight this is the 2nd one i have had on my atv the 1st one lasted about 3months...
did you leave that cheesy box attatched to the winch? thats your biggest problem there, that box has more holes than a napkin, my relays are in a "project box" from radioshack, sealed that up really good, and i removed that wireless crap and put a switch on my handlebars..

Originally Posted by hallj86
Chicago lol that is the funniest **** I have ever seen made. You dont buy that crap unless you plan on using the tool once and throwing it away. Plus really risking your atv sitting in mub for days or hours because you got the worlds cheapest winch.
really? because i've used mine dozens of times and it hasn't failed me yet? i've pulled out a buddy more than i've used it for myself, but i've done my share of going down rivers completely soaking the winch and its never gone out on me? the control box that comes with them is the only reason i would guess it'd fail...

guess i got my moneys worth out of chicago electric, had it on my bike since x-mas and its seen all kinds of crud and crap, and still works every time i need it.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider
Cool

Without trying to start a WINCH WAR, I belong to multiple ATV forum sites & the top 3 winchs I've heard to most about:

WARN
VIPER
PROMARK(Gorilla)

There's HUGE debate on which one(s) are better. It's very subjective as to actual usage/length of usage/trail vs. mud running etc. Some swear spending the $$$$$ is the only way. Other's (like me) split the difference.

I personally have BOTH the PROMARK 3000LB XTR Synthetic Rope ($150 Ebay - installed myself) on the TRV and WARN 3000LB ($400) installed on the wifey's 550 at the dealer.

I've plowed 2 winter's of some SERIOUS snow with the TRV constantly lifting & dropping the plow, the the PROMARK hasn't quit. The WARN has been used 2 times....(to pull a shed)..it works fine as well.
I have both winchs covered w/a neoprene cover to limit the amt of water & debris OFF the winch. I also don't "mud-run" either machine. (ok some mud holes are fun..)

If/when the PROMARK dies......and it will eventually......I'll get another. It's PAID for itself w/o me having to drop $400 bucks on another winch.

As for cleaning........PM me and I've got a detailed PDF file w/pics (found it online) for how to clean & maintain your ATV winch that'll I'll email. Pretty straight forward stuff.

- Brad

Old 08-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

ok got my FIX i bought a new harbor freight 3k lb. winch with the remote lead, took it apart right outa the box sealed it up my self with some o rings and gaskets maid from a ruber iner tub, hooked it to a jump box to make sure it worked then the test!!! FILLED my cooler with water and IN it went!! left it there for 2 days trying it off an on and it worked GREAT !! took it out mounted it to the atv an as i walk by it time frome time in the garage i'll hook up the lead just to try it !! LOL !

Quick Reply: winch water proofing !!