General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

I need your opinions - quarter life crisis!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtdame
Well, you're starting out on the right foot by asking for other opinions.

How would you finance this venture? Assuming you're going with ute quads and they cost $4-5k each, plus truck, plus trailer, plus insurance,etc . . . did you come up with a ballpark start-up cost? Did you look into making a business plan, or will you just wing it? If you're going to finance through a bank, I'm pretty sure you'll need to write up a plan.

I wish you luck!

ps - I know she's your ex gf - but how did she make out with her new life?

Yup - it will take a lot of $$$ to get started, and once you are rolling the insurance is gonna eat you alive...

Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do it! It is the only way to get things done.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Originally Posted by dcase
That is also an option. I live in Wisconsin so it would be rather difficult to obtain a decent amount of land, I'm thinking that would require 1,000+ acres to make it worthwhile? We do have some ATV parks that mostly just consist of a MX track, campground, and small 20-40 acre trails.

I think I thought of the traveling tour aspect out of selfishness. It would primarily be for me and my desire to travel and ride in new, exotic places and still be "working".

Still on the fence here guys. I'm just unsure of the revenue VS overhead. Not looking to get rich here, just want to be able to eat.

If I decide to pull the trigger on this I can get the ball rolling rather quick. Buy a large truck & trailer, pack it with ATVs. Coming from the technology sector I could setup a great website.

All input is appreciated! Thanks for the replies so far!

Where at in Wisconsin do you live.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

So whats the plan? Gonna go for it?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do it. Too risky IMO.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Everything is a risk - no guts no glory!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been there, done that

After twenty years of wearing golden handcuffs in the corporate world, I took a buyout and started my own company, which I ran for another twenty years. I can tell you it's a lot easier to work for a paycheck. It used to be a lot less risky, but I'm not sure that's the case any more. A lot of people have been losing jobs, but you can't get laid off when you work for yourself. In some ways, it's less stressful when you are in control than when you are at someone else's mercy. I also liked the flexibility of working for myself--if I wanted a new ATV, I just worked extra hard for awhile until I had the money.

What you want to do sounds like an ATV'ers dream...and that raises a warning flag. You might be too close--picking something that suits you rather than something that is in demand by enough people to create a successful business.

A couple of suggestionss: 1) Lease the ATV's and other equipment; 2) Get local dealers to co-sponsor your events. It would seem that much of the market for your idea would be people who are contemplating buying machines. Dealers might like that.

You do need to flesh out your business plan, especially the marketing section.