General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

How important is a title

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beergut
not all atv's come with titles (certificate of origin)- many didn't back then (same with trailers). Some people don't want to title their atv's because they'd have to pay taxes, and some people just don't think a title matters to an atv. A lack of title does not mean it's a bad deal or it shouldn't be sold- just means the buyer has to maybe take an extra step to ensure his purchase is legit.
Anyone can forge or copy a title just as easy as a bill of sale.

+1

I mail ordered a quad one time and never got a title for it.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure there are lots of quads for sale without titles, but there are lots of them with legit titles also. I definately go for ones that have the titles. It's just a peace of mind thing. I believe that the manufacturers started giving titles in the mid to late 90's so I'm sure it had a title at one time. It wouldn't take the seller much to go get the title from the SOS and you could receive it in a week or two. It's all a matter of opinion though. Some don't care, and some do. There are plenty of good deals that don't include titles, but it only takes one dishonest seller to screw you up. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

where im from you need the title because we need to register our bikes just like our cars.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I know here you can get a bonded title. But it's a little more hassle and would wind up costing roughly 200-300 more dollars.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

I ended up buying a Honda 300EX. It was from Wisconsin where they don't have titles but do register the ATV. It came with a card from the state that says to sign and give to the buyer. I called my sister who is from Wisconsin and asked her what she had and she said the same. Now I have to decide whether to get an Illinois title for it. I probably will but hate giving the state another $100.