General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Gas Can Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Can Question

ATV has range of about 100 miles so if I go riding someplace with hundreds of miles of trails I'll need to bring extra gas along:

- What's the best gas can? And why is it the 'best'?

- How do you keep the gas can reasonably clean?

Experimenting around the farm found that all but one of my 'lawnmower gas cans' leak a little bit, just enough to affect the plastic trash bags I tried. That's one out of seven different kinds, and that one is 25-30 years old and of course no longer available.

Tried using old pillow cases, only helped a very little in keeping dust off the gas cans, they still got a lot dirtier than what I'd like.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default how much

How many gallons are you looking to carry? What do you ride and how do you plan to keep it with you?

We bought my dad a rotopax 4 gallon rack can this winter that he has had good luck with. It was about 150 bucks though by the time we bought the mounts and all. I go with the generic (much cheaper) alternative. I mounted a Stanley tool box on the back of my quad and bought a 2 gallon can from menards...the can fits right inside the box and have had no issues with keeping it clean because the box has a rubber seal to make it water tight. Spent about 35 bucks total.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

Best? Each of their own as what meet my needs may not meet yours

I tried those "lawn mower" general cans and main issue to me was the shape and how to keep it still and still be able to carry other stuff on my racks.

I have different type can's / jugs for different purpose. High flow 5 gal racing jugs for main use and Rotopax 4 gal and 2 gal flat fuel packs for atv's with Rotopax mounts so I don't need to worry about packs moving all around the rack.

The mount,

One fuel pack,

With Rotopax extensions, stacking two...

I have not had any leaking issues with my Rotopax units as those are build to lay flat but I also pay attention to cap gasket and visually check it every time when I use the packs.

Fuel packs get dusty once a while and I just use car soap and hand wash them (not pressure wash) and I have been planning to buy condura or similar fabric and make side open bag (alike atv rack bags) just for the Rotopax units to keep them clean.

So at the end, one needs to ask how much they are willing to spend money on accessories...
Cheap gets lawn mower can and tries to tie it down to rack and it still moves around and after all that bungie cord / tie strap hassle, there is weird blimp taking whole rack...

Spend few bucks more and you can get flat fuel packs with mounts, which allows you to throw duffle bag on top of it and you only tie the duffle bag and off you go...

Old 05-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Rotopax here too. I have never had a drop leak in hundreds of miles driving. Somewhere around 500-600 miles.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotopax is well worth the $ and the way to go. Have never had a problem with them leaking and the mounting system is great.