General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Please suggest an ATV for my girl!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please suggest an ATV for my girl!

the girl and I are looking to purchase a quad for each of us for this season.

i have owned a raptor 660R and a Honda 400ex in the past, so i know i want a fast, 2WD sport rocket.

she on the other hand, is looking for something much smaller in engine size, more comfort, etc.

Her requirements are:

Automatic
would highly prefer 4WD
Electric Start
Reverse
(perhaps a sport utility quad)

She is looking to spend under $2000 on a machine. We only will be riding woods, trails, some mud. Nothing crazy.

What do you guys suggest?

We were looking at used Yamaha Wolverine 350s (4x4, auto) but they seem a bit large and heavy for her.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you need to fit your daughter to the quad, kind of like shoes.
my babygirl is 5' 2" & 105 lbs, and she handles her TRX250ex honda sport quad like nobody's business. it's the right size for her. now granted she's a tad too small for our Grizzly 450, but she handles that ok, but we prefer her to be on the smaller cc quad. there's a lot of quad choices for you to choose from. sounds like you need to take her shopping with you.
that's my two cents.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
you need to fit your daughter to the quad, kind of like shoes.
my babygirl is 5' 2" & 105 lbs, and she handles her TRX250ex honda sport quad like nobody's business. it's the right size for her. now granted she's a tad too small for our Grizzly 450, but she handles that ok, but we prefer her to be on the smaller cc quad. there's a lot of quad choices for you to choose from. sounds like you need to take her shopping with you.
that's my two cents.
very sound advice, thank you! i forgot a small detail...she's my girlfriend, not my daughter!

5'4, 120lbs. petite frame.

i fully plan on "shopping" with her, however, i don't know specifically which type of quad to look for.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM

BANSHEE 350 !! lol KIDDING i'd say if she is comfortable with a clutch just to go with a 400ex. The 300ex would be a good choice, if you could find a newer style. Around here you can find an 05+ 400ex for 2g, a new style 300ex is pretty steep.. so yeah, But the 300ex, in my opinion, is much more comfortable than the 400ex. Nut the 400ex is a good bike.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by nsogiba

i have owned a raptor 660R and a Honda 400ex in the past, so i know i want a fast, 2WD sport rocket.

she on the other hand, is looking for something much smaller in engine size, more comfort, etc.

Her requirements are:

Automatic
would highly prefer 4WD
Electric Start
Reverse

She is looking to spend under $2000 on a machine. We only will be riding woods, trails, some mud. Nothing crazy.

We were looking at used Yamaha Wolverine 350s (4x4, auto) but they seem a bit large and heavy for her.

Thanks in advance!
For 4x4s, I can't think of much that is lighter than a Wolverine 350.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
For 4x4s, I can't think of much that is lighter than a Wolverine 350.
thanks, that's good info.

Originally Posted by TacticalRedneckofKentucky
BANSHEE 350 !! lol KIDDING i'd say if she is comfortable with a clutch just to go with a 400ex. The 300ex would be a good choice, if you could find a newer style. Around here you can find an 05+ 400ex for 2g, a new style 300ex is pretty steep.. so yeah, But the 300ex, in my opinion, is much more comfortable than the 400ex. Nut the 400ex is a good bike.
because i owned a 400ex, i'm going to say that it's too much for her to handle. she has yet to ride and we need something calmer. the 400EX (when you know how to ride it) has very high limits. i loved that chassis.

300ex is nice size-wise but not automatic, and not 4x4.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say look to the 250 sport class for her ride. First, if you are on a sport quad, you probably aren't going to be mud bogging or doing other things that require 4wd with any regularity. Second, she is a new rider and smaller, so wrestling with a 600 pound machine may wear her out quickly. More so if she is trying to keep up with you on a sport. Third, the 2K ceiling doesn't lend itself to many quality choices in the smaller 4x4 range. On the other hand, you can find the 250EX, good condition, all day for that price. I am sure you could find a Can-Am or Kymco(both cvt autos) in that price also.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Count a 4wd out then, the 350 Wolverine was the lightest 4wd ATV ever made it was even lighter then the 250 class 4wds that Artic Cat ,Polaris, Yamaha and Suzuki once made.

At 485lbs it was lighter then a 250 4wd Timberwolf and even the current 350 Grizzly 2wd and was only 30lbs heavier then a 2wd 250 grizzly. Here is a link to its specs.

1999 Yamaha Wolverine ATVs

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

very sound advice, thank you! i forgot a small detail...she's my girlfriend, not my daughter!

5'4, 120lbs. petite frame.

i fully plan on "shopping" with her, however, i don't know specifically which type of quad to look for.
sorry..i misunderstood your terminology

Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

Her requirements are:

Automatic
would highly prefer 4WD
Electric Start
Reverse

Thanks in advance!
Nsogiba, I'm 5'5" 127 lbs .... Although I have a lot of experience riding, I've found the Yamaha's fit MY body frame more comfortably than any other 'brand'. If I'm not comfortable sitting on it when it's idling, I'm not gonna be comfortable driving it.

I ride a 400 Grizzly most times but, when I'm out to tear up the world, it's my son's 700 I take out and raise hell on.(he he he he!!!)

Go with a 4x4 and teach her how to ride 2x2 and to use the 4x4 when needed. Good luck!! Glad to see another female taking on the sport!!

Quick Reply: Please suggest an ATV for my girl!