General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Ever pop a tire in the woods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever pop a tire in the woods?

Yesterday my buddy and I were riding in woods without trails. At one point he mentioned about checking out a path so that we didn't pop a tire. That got me worrying about what we would do if a tire popped. The woods were not huge but big enough that getting an atv out without a tire would be a problem. How likely are sticks and logs to puncture a tire? On my Jeep once I did have a stick go through the sidewall of a tire so I know it is possible. Anybody ever pop a tire in the woods?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nothing like what you're describing. Picked up a nail here and there that required a plug. Had one sidewall rip that took 3 plugs. That fix lasted 3 more years.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Range Rover

I have had sticks to puncture tires. While riding and put a hole where 3 plugs would fill it but not seal it so I carry a small compressor that plugs into The round plug would be a cig. Lighter in a car and just limped back and kept stopping to put air in it as we went. But The main thing is when they come off The bead a ratchet strap is handy then we take The tire off and strap it down til it seals The put a little air in and release tension slowly on The strap it sometimes takes a few tries but can usually get The job done. I guess it all depends on what you usually carry when you are riding. I try to be prepared for just nearly anything cause I've had to limp a three wheeled 4-wheeler several miles through The woods and mud before its not fun and not as simple as being towed back cause your ride quit or The like.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've never lost a tire due to a puncture out on the trails, yet. but my son has bent a rim on a tree stump that was 5" tall with a 1" diameter. $125 later, everything was good. i schooled him on watching the trail and his surroundings. i too carry a compressor with us on the ride. although i don't use the ratchet strap trick for reseating the bead, i use ether and matches. works for me, i've done it for years. BUT, it's probably not the most recommended way to do it. the ratchet strap trick takes a little longer and is much safer. the ratchet strap is quite successful.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have green slime in all my tires and carry a plug kit and compressor with me

Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Are most ATV tires tubeless?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yes

Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

I've never seen one with a tube in it.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not 10 minutes into riding a brand new quad I got a 4 plug slash in a front sidewall. Over the years I have punctured plenty of tires and seen many more. In almost all cases the cause was riding in shale. I have ridden a few miles back to the truck several times on a flat. That sucks, but by taking my time and avoiding the big rocks/ruts I have yet to destroy a rim doing it. The best bet is to always run a 6 ply tire, keep a repair kit with you, and always ride with a buddy. Beadlocks and products liek tireballs or tire johnnies can keep you going if you puncture a tire if you are REALLY worried about it.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Try desert racing guys. Flat tires happen all the time. Depending on the vehicle you're racing, and whether or not you're carrying a spare, you may just have to make it to the next pit, or the finish, with a flat tire. I've ridden dirt bikes for 80 miles at a time with a flat - - - not fun. ATVs aren't so bad, if you're running bead locks, just run it flat.

For ATV trail riding I carry a good tire repair kit that has tire plugs, a reaming tool, tire glue, a mini air compressor, and starter fluid / matches to reset the bead. Those items never leave my ATVs storage compartment.

Quick Reply: Ever pop a tire in the woods?