General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Berry Farm ATV

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Berry Farm ATV

Hi there, I'm a newb to ATVs and need your advice.

I run a 120 acre blueberry farm and am thinking of buying an ATV for the farm manager so that he can ride quickly from one end to the other. Speed is somewhat important, but the roads are fairly rough (lots of ruts), so we are talking about speeds less than 25mph.

The ATV would not be used for hauling anything - there is a dedicated tractor and pickups for that.

I don't mind buying used, but reliability is important. The farm manager is about 5'-6" tall and probably weighs 160lbs.

My budget is $2K or less. Any recommendations? I've been looking at older 150 to 250cc models, but there are quite a few 110cc models around for much less. Is that sufficient power, or are those more for kids?

Thanks in Advance!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

2wd or 4wd? Check out a late 90's Honda Fourtrax 300.Can be had in either,bulletproof motor will run forever.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:30 PM

I'm thinking rancher 350.. I know my buddy had one a long time ago, seemed to like it fine... but i never pay much attention to the utilities....

I would say get him a sport quad but that would be to much fun for him!

But he wouldn't be able to take much/anything along with him..

Back to the topic....

I say for anything you'll find under 2 grand, go with the bullet proof hondas!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Range Rover

Honda recon is a great little 4-wheeler. They are a 250 I think only come in 2wd but they are a very dependable machine.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

From what you're describing I also think the Honda Recon would be a good one. Suzuki Ozark, and Kawasaki Bayou are also good reliable 250cc quads that will do what you're asking and can be had under $2000.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

I know you said used and under 2k... but...
Im going to plug on the new ones we bought this spring .

We bought 2 new kawasaki Brute force 300's. They are a sport /utility 2 wheel drive(shaft drive)which would give you the best of both worlds , a work horse and a toy.
Ive been very impressed with them so far . Not as big as a full size quad but bigger then the 250's out there. Im 5-6 @ 140 and it fits me great . Ive had it up around 45mph, mud and water over the floor boards and it never missed a beat .It has a High/ low range for working ..rated to pull 500lbs , racks to carry tools and what not, nice coverage from body and foot wells , good on gas >>> 70 miles on a tank of fuel.

I know its new and the cost would be more then what you planed , but with the use your describing this little brute would be perfect for your farm .
It also has alot of goodies that are not on the older 250s , full light system, insterment pod , fuel gage , water temp, clock and trip odometer , neutral, low range and reverse lights.... even has low fuel warning ! Also has a winch mount built right in the frame and skid plates, adjustable shocks
Ive pulled some big wind falls out of the way with it and pull a drag through the trails around home here and it,s been more fun working it then just riding it.

As for the price of this unit .. we bought ours for 3500 otd . Best deal for the buck when we where shopping . We also were looking at all the 250 models new and used and this BF was the ticket, go up to a 400-450cc or 4x4 and the price jumps 2k on the new ones . Used 4x4/ 400's or any others were in the 3k range ... but then your not sure what your getting .
if it were me and investing into my biz , I would go with the new for a little bit more coin... would this not be a deduction for your farm expenses for upgrading your equipment ? ..could be more savings to be had then just buying out rite to have ??

Not trying to tell you what to buy .. just telling you about a option that might give you more for your buck in the long run