ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Being down sucks (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/351266-being-down-sucks.html)

400EXrider02 05-30-2013 03:01 PM

Being down sucks

Sure anyone that's ridden any length of time knows the feeling, your quad's broke down and you can't go ride! My rear bearings are shot in my EX and I haven't been on it in about a month. Started to tear it apart yesterday but am at a standstill now getting the axle out of the housing. Guess it's just part of owning a 11 year old machine, still, couldn't have happened at a more inconvenient time haha, springtime, and all the trails are opening up. Not to mention, my fellow riding buddies have been tormenting me about some of the rides they been on.:blahblah: Ah well, this is all part of riding. Could be worse and I hope it don't turn out this way, but one summer I missed the whole season of riding because my 04 Kawasaki KX250 had a major breakdown and I was out all summer, that sucked! As the old saying goes, "If it has tits or tires it will cause you trouble eventually!"

Just had to vent, anyone care to share your stories of being broke down for extended periods?

gearheadatv 05-30-2013 04:31 PM

I grew up on a farm and as kids we'd take our old Yamaha Timberwolf out to move water. There were multiple times where we'd get out there, get the work done and then jump on the fourwheeler to head back home and it wouldn't start. As kids we didn't really know what was wrong, so we'd have to walk the few miles home and get help. Those were frustrating moments, as one kid would blame another for why it wouldn't start as me made the journey home!

400EXrider02 05-30-2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by gearheadatv (Post 3191264)
I grew up on a farm and as kids we'd take our old Yamaha Timberwolf out to move water. There were multiple times where we'd get out there, get the work done and then jump on the fourwheeler to head back home and it wouldn't start. As kids we didn't really know what was wrong, so we'd have to walk the few miles home and get help. Those were frustrating moments, as one kid would blame another for why it wouldn't start as me made the journey home!

Haha that's funny! Timberwolf's are definitely old skool, what year was it?

gearheadatv 05-31-2013 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Early 90's. Looked like this, minus the rims and rear rack. Really it was a pretty good machine. The reverse lever broke after a few years, it still worked, but the actual "button" to push that locked it into gear broke. So sometimes you'd be going along and it would move into neutral and you'd have to push back. All in all though it was a good machine.

Attachment 14725

TLC 05-31-2013 01:03 PM

I had troubles on my like the electric starter not working but I just pull started it,My battery died but I just pull started it and I ripped a CV boot but I just duck taped it until I got around to fixing it.
My only show stopper was the rad fan,the dealer wanted $320! I found a NEW fan on ebay for $65. But it was down for a week over it.

Koopa 05-31-2013 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 400EXrider02 (Post 3191242)
... Started to tear it apart yesterday but am at a standstill now getting the axle out of the housing.

Make double, and triple check to make sure you have the circlips removed and nothing holding it in. Put her on a stand. PB Blasher, a block and a sledge.

Had a 450R with rusted bearings that were falling apart and that popped it out no problem. Don't get crazy, just be careful and it should slide right out.

400EXrider02 05-31-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Koopa (Post 3191475)
Make double, and triple check to make sure you have the circlips removed and nothing holding it in. Put her on a stand. PB Blasher, a block and a sledge.

Had a 450R with rusted bearings that were falling apart and that popped it out no problem. Don't get crazy, just be careful and it should slide right out.

Yeah, there must be something else holding it. I have been soaking it in Blaster periodically to loosen things up. How many circlips are there?

Koopa 05-31-2013 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 400EXrider02 (Post 3191476)
Yeah, there must be something else holding it. I have been soaking it in Blaster periodically to loosen things up. How many circlips are there?

Was thinking there was just the one.

jgar 05-31-2013 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 400EXrider02 (Post 3191476)

What point in the removal are you at?

400EXrider02 06-01-2013 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jgar (Post 3191502)
What point in the removal are you at?

The aluminum bracket that holds the brake rotor on wont come off and the c-clip in the middle of that and the brakepad mount. If that makes sense? I am so tired right now I cant even think of the proper names for those haha. :lmao: