General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Being down sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Being down sucks

Sure anyone that's ridden any length of time knows the feeling, your quad's broke down and you can't go ride! My rear bearings are shot in my EX and I haven't been on it in about a month. Started to tear it apart yesterday but am at a standstill now getting the axle out of the housing. Guess it's just part of owning a 11 year old machine, still, couldn't have happened at a more inconvenient time haha, springtime, and all the trails are opening up. Not to mention, my fellow riding buddies have been tormenting me about some of the rides they been on. Ah well, this is all part of riding. Could be worse and I hope it don't turn out this way, but one summer I missed the whole season of riding because my 04 Kawasaki KX250 had a major breakdown and I was out all summer, that sucked! As the old saying goes, "If it has **** or tires it will cause you trouble eventually!"

Just had to vent, anyone care to share your stories of being broke down for extended periods?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up on a farm and as kids we'd take our old Yamaha Timberwolf out to move water. There were multiple times where we'd get out there, get the work done and then jump on the fourwheeler to head back home and it wouldn't start. As kids we didn't really know what was wrong, so we'd have to walk the few miles home and get help. Those were frustrating moments, as one kid would blame another for why it wouldn't start as me made the journey home!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by gearheadatv
I grew up on a farm and as kids we'd take our old Yamaha Timberwolf out to move water. There were multiple times where we'd get out there, get the work done and then jump on the fourwheeler to head back home and it wouldn't start. As kids we didn't really know what was wrong, so we'd have to walk the few miles home and get help. Those were frustrating moments, as one kid would blame another for why it wouldn't start as me made the journey home!
Haha that's funny! Timberwolf's are definitely old skool, what year was it?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Early 90's. Looked like this, minus the rims and rear rack. Really it was a pretty good machine. The reverse lever broke after a few years, it still worked, but the actual "button" to push that locked it into gear broke. So sometimes you'd be going along and it would move into neutral and you'd have to push back. All in all though it was a good machine.

Name:  timberwolf001.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  149.2 KB

Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I had troubles on my like the electric starter not working but I just pull started it,My battery died but I just pull started it and I ripped a CV boot but I just duck taped it until I got around to fixing it.
My only show stopper was the rad fan,the dealer wanted $320! I found a NEW fan on ebay for $65. But it was down for a week over it.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by 400EXrider02
... Started to tear it apart yesterday but am at a standstill now getting the axle out of the housing.
Make double, and triple check to make sure you have the circlips removed and nothing holding it in. Put her on a stand. PB Blasher, a block and a sledge.

Had a 450R with rusted bearings that were falling apart and that popped it out no problem. Don't get crazy, just be careful and it should slide right out.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Koopa
Make double, and triple check to make sure you have the circlips removed and nothing holding it in. Put her on a stand. PB Blasher, a block and a sledge.

Had a 450R with rusted bearings that were falling apart and that popped it out no problem. Don't get crazy, just be careful and it should slide right out.
Yeah, there must be something else holding it. I have been soaking it in Blaster periodically to loosen things up. How many circlips are there?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Yeah, there must be something else holding it. I have been soaking it in Blaster periodically to loosen things up. How many circlips are there?
Was thinking there was just the one.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What point in the removal are you at?

Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jgar
What point in the removal are you at?
The aluminum bracket that holds the brake rotor on wont come off and the c-clip in the middle of that and the brakepad mount. If that makes sense? I am so tired right now I cant even think of the proper names for those haha.

Quick Reply: Being down sucks