General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Polaris 500 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 500 won't start

Hey guys, I've got a 500 Polaris ho 2009 and it won't start. The starter won't even crank. I try to start her and she won't do anything. I was thinking maybe it was a solenoid issue but I really don't know... I get power to lights odo meter and all that stuff. Sometimes it has done this in the past so I just pushed it around or cranked the handle bar and she fired up. If someone could please help me resolve this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady500
Hey guys, I've got a 500 Polaris ho 2009 and it won't start. The starter won't even crank. I try to start her and she won't do anything. I was thinking maybe it was a solenoid issue but I really don't know... I get power to lights odo meter and all that stuff. Sometimes it has done this in the past so I just pushed it around or cranked the handle bar and she fired up. If someone could please help me resolve this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If you turned the handle bars and then were able to crank it,sounds like you've got a short. Either in the switch wiring or the wiring under the front panel as this area is bad about shorts because of all the twisting and tuning and pressure on the wiring harness.One common area on shorts was around the headlight connector wiring that could cause starting problems.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya I had a problem before there with the wire from the cigarette lighter shorting against the handle bars and blowing fuses but I fixed her I checks the wires and they don't seem to be shorting out. Could it be the wire to the solenoid. It seems pretty rusted out. I was going to take off the rear panel and steel brush the connectors. Now I got a stripped screw bolt that won't come out... What a bitch

Old 02-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Possibly could be. Just take one area at a time and work the wiring issues out. Plus simple things like loose connections at the battery can cause erratic problems. Plus solenoids are too cheap to mess with when you can get them for 10 bucks or less.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Sole...tSu5la&vxp=mtr

Old 02-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help man

Old 02-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Possibly could be. Just take one area at a time and work the wiring issues out. Plus simple things like loose connections at the battery can cause erratic problems. Plus solenoids are too cheap to mess with when you can get them for 10 bucks or less.Starter Solenoid Relay 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 | eBay
It's in the handle bars I cranked it over one way and she fired up. Any tips on which wires to follow back and figure it out

Old 02-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Like I mentioned start at the ignition switch connector and wiring,trace it down into the pod area. It along with the high beam headlight connector,left control switch wiring,accessory plug wiring,etc. Just a process of elimination until you find the culprit. Can be a bare hot wire touching metal,a ground wire fault or even pins in a connector not making good contact until you turn the bars a certain way.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Electrical 2002 polaris 500 sportsman

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Possibly could be. Just take one area at a time and work the wiring issues out. Plus simple things like loose connections at the battery can cause erratic problems. Plus solenoids are too cheap to mess with when you can get them for 10 bucks or less.Starter Solenoid Relay 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 | eBay
I have a 500 that is not getting power to the side of the switch that goes to the silonid. I have power to the key switch also to the low beam head lights and cig lighter but not to high beam or the gagues. safty switch is ok fuel throtle switch is ok key switch is also good I have changed it out also speed o. still no luck circuit breakers ok as well. please any ideas getting stumped

Old 02-14-2016, 05:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You don't say which model 500 you have,but if its' a later model that has the connector at the ignition switch,could have a problem in the connector itself in not allowing transfer of power to the small solenoid wire that triggers the solenoid. Pins can pull back from connectors for one thing. Or a faulty star button contact in the left control switch. Plus don't over look any shorts or ground problems in the pod itself. I've found plenty of shorts in the high beam wiring and connector simply because of the sharp bends it makes.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to little info It is a 2002 polaris sportsman. Thank you for your reply will look deeper for shorts in the pod and switch wiring if you have any more ideas i would very much appreciate hearing them.

Quick Reply: Polaris 500 won't start