General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Inexpensive Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive Trailer

Anyone recommend a decent and inexpensive trailer? I have been wandering Craigslist and some of them are so scary....
Someone recommended Harbor Freight, but those trailers look like they have no bed at all (I guess I could bolt one down).

Just wondering!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a dealer near you that sells new trailers? Many times a new one doesn't cost that much more than a used one. For the price used trailers sell for around here, I'd rather pay a little more and get this one New 2016 Model 6 X 12ft Tilt Trailer w/ 3500lb Axle. Maybe you have similar deals relatively near you. Its about a 2 hour drive to where that one is from me but its worth it. $950 for a brand new 6x12 trailer isn't bad. I think they have ones with a rear gate for a little more as well, I'd probably pay extra for that. I like the ease of loading and unloading with a gate and feel more secure as well hauling with it. A smaller one like a 5x8 would cost even a little less if that's all you needed.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen some really cheap trailers at stores like Harbor Freight, Lowe's, and Home Depot and wouldn't buy any of them. I got a 5x8 tilt bed similar to the one in greg74's link. I've had it 18 years and haven't had any problems with it except the wiring didn't hold up. Everything is solid steel except for the fenders. I grease the hubs once a year and check the tires whenever I get around to it and it's ready to go.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of those cheap trailers you see at Lowe's, Rural King, Harbor Freight etc aren't really designed to handle a lot of weight. Those with the mesh floors aren't strong enough to support the weight of a motorcycle or atv. People will put a wood floor over the mesh to give it some strength but still they seem a bit flimsy. Solid steel floor is best but those are a bit more expensive. I've seen some aluminum trailers too. A bit expensive but lightweight and durable but still most have a wood floor. The solid aluminum ones are pricy but no wood to ever rot.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Depending on just how handy you are, you could always beef up the less expensive trailers. Adding some angle iron and some 3/4" plywood as a floor is not that difficult. Depending on what you are hauling most of the cheap trailers do have a 1000 lb weight cap. If you only have one atv that should not be an issue. I had my trailer built by a welding shop, I took in the plans that I sketched and they built it in there slow time. Mine has a 2000 lb cap axle so with the 500 lbs trailer weight I can haul 1500 lbs. I only spent 650 to have the trailer built to my specs. It is an 8' wide x 10" long tilt bed but has removable side so I can side load 2 atv's.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Though a little concerned, I took my 4x7 utility trailer with my ATV on it roughly 2000 miles to Utah and back this past Sept. Repacked wheel bearings before I went and kept speed 70 and under and had no issues. I also changed the original 4.12in tires with 5.10in tires about two years ago. As long as you treat them right (don't overload mainly) they should be fine. The Harbor Freight ones are cheaper as they don't put a floor on them.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

A piece of 5/8" or 3/4" treated plywood will make a great floor and add considerable strength to any trailer frame if it is bolted in properly. Add felt paper strips where the wood contacts the metal frame to keep rust from forming in between.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
A lot of those cheap trailers you see at Lowe's, Rural King, Harbor Freight etc aren't really designed to handle a lot of weight. Those with the mesh floors aren't strong enough to support the weight of a motorcycle or atv. People will put a wood floor over the mesh to give it some strength but still they seem a bit flimsy. Solid steel floor is best but those are a bit more expensive. I've seen some aluminum trailers too. A bit expensive but lightweight and durable but still most have a wood floor. The solid aluminum ones are pricy but no wood to ever rot.
The mesh floor trailers are fine as long as you make sure the mesh is secured properly. The one i bought the mesh was not secured to cross bracing once i welded it on its been fine. 2 years transporting 2 quads over some pretty rough roads..

Old 03-19-2016, 07:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default atv trailer

Originally Posted by Zrock
The mesh floor trailers are fine as long as you make sure the mesh is secured properly. The one i bought the mesh was not secured to cross bracing once i welded it on its been fine. 2 years transporting 2 quads over some pretty rough roads..

get a welder and build it the way u want it. I did,. 501/2" inside to inside, 1" sq.tubing rail 9" above floor, 12ft 4' long, fold up tailgate, 13" tires, alum treadplate bed, box on the v nose. been to cal. to Utah, to cal., back to okla., w/ many local trips. son has it now. will haul 2- 4 wheel drive quads end to end.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Have a welder... don't have the time lol.. Thats what i started doing but i still had removable side rails, axle swap, and a few other things to do before it was the way i wanted. Good part was i sold it for enough to buy my new trailer and only had about $200 into it at that point..
The msh deck works great now that i added a few more welds, and changed the way i tied machines to it.. I can wash the machines right on it and not have to rince the deck afterwards..

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Trailer