General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

motor 500 sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016 | 08:19 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default motor 500 sportsman

A friend of mine took his 97 sportsman to Polaris in Marble Falls Tx. the motor would not turn over...they kept it 2 days and told him the motor was blown and that it would be 4500.00 to fix it he said no not now they pushed it out front and charged him 395.00 for a diagnostic charge.didnt help him load it or nothing he is about 78 years old and drags an oxygen bottle behind him ,he is a retired Colorado State Trapper ,,anyway he let it set under the barn for about 2 years well I told him I would put a new motor in for him for 200 bucks he orders a motor ,used one with 145 hours on it he paid 1100.00 with shipping well I start tearing the old motor out and notice all the screws are loose on the pull rope cocer i pull it off and the magneto has 2 magnets broke off and are jammed all up on the flywheel and starter i pull all the broke crap out put the cover on and hit the start button it turns over like a new one...Polaris in Marble Falls knew what was wrong and tried to screw this old guy ...anyway I have the motor he had ordered he said to get 800.00 for it it only had a 30 day return it took us 3 months to get a flywheel and all the guts inside ..it was crazy it has the big magnets inside but he really needs the cash i ended up not charging him nothing for fixing it he is tickled to death he can get out and go ride around his house again..thanks guys my cell is 830-613-9561 plz somebody buy this motor its actually still in the box from when it was shipped to us never even opened it lol

Old 11-24-2016 | 08:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hate to hear when things like this happen. The dealer ship could have pulled the recoil housing and flywheel in a few minutes and found the problem.This was a common problem on the older models with the glued on flywheel magnets that would fly off,lock up and destroy stators.Instead they tried to rip off an old retired man. Pathetic. Dealers ships like this are who paint all the dealers as being a bunch of crooks. Plenty of honest ones out there,you just have to find a good one and stay with them if you can't work on one yourself.Same as car dealer ships.

Old 11-24-2016 | 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

I would definitely call your local news TV station and give them this story. TV stations like good people stories unless they receive big bucks from that dealership for advertising. If so go to the next town and check their tv station or better yet place an ad in the local newspaper. You just might get a call from the dealer offering to buy that motor...who knows but it would be worth the effort!!