DIY Floating ATV - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 01-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

If you ever rode in an Argo machine that in itself would keep you from ever owning one. They are a neat little machine and I considered one some years back, then a friend down south bought one. On a vacation that year we stopped by and he took me for a spin on his....that was the most GOD awfull ride I have ever taken. There is no suspension except for the cushion of the fat tires which means nothing and the seat is not well padded. My body ached for a week after that and even he admitted that he only uses it to go slow as the ride is way to rough. Neat idea but unless you live in a swamp or use it for strictly ice fishing then it doesn't seem very usefull.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg74 View Post
I think I remember seeing those quadskis many years ago in Dirt Wheels Magazine. They are outrageously expensive. You could buy a brand new jet ski and and a brand new 4x4 quad and still a lot of money left over instead. I did for fun look for used Argos on my local craigslist, found a couple in the $3000 range. I have seen some for really cheap before but nothing currently. If you could find one cheap that would be the ideal solution. They're already designed to be amphibious.

The reason they are so cheap is the seals on the axles are worn out and need replaced. That is a difficult and expensive repair as the entire drive train has to be taken out and reassembled. If you ever look inside one of those it is a series of chains making up the drive system and sort of like a puzzle. When it comes time for seals many people sell them due to the cost.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

I had another idea, maybe better than the others:

Put on ATV Tire Chains, and use the chains as attachment points for a net of cords (maybe bungee cords) that hold an inflatable exercise ball in place on each wheel. The exercize ***** and bungee cords can be stowed away and quickly hooked on when there's a river or pond to cross, then removed.

My main concern is whether an exercise ball would get poked by a stick and pop....
Old 01-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbofrank View Post
You would get there eventually. Maybe even slower than this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0083h2PhaE
He's riding so low in the water that the wheels are pushing backwards as much as forward... the wheels have to be only half-submerged to get the forward push. Otherwise the top of the wheel is pushing you back as much as the bottom of the wheel is pushing you forward.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

I'm guessing that you havent looked up the episode on the final frontier tv show then Ivan and Otz did this very project huh? Big PITA to have 2 kayaks or 6 float bouys to tie on to the wheels. Cause if your going to "prestage" floats at a predetermined water crossing, you'd be better served to just make yourself a raft with a pull rope to get yourself across. You wont get wet... your atv wont risk flipping... and you'll know your launch and land point everytime!
Besides, with the right tires and a reliable snorkle, and ATV will make it across any reasonable water.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Moto Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleNeil View Post
He's riding so low in the water that the wheels are pushing backwards as much as forward... the wheels have to be only half-submerged to get the forward push. Otherwise the top of the wheel is pushing you back as much as the bottom of the wheel is pushing you forward.
Good point. I wasn't paying attention to how far under the wheels were. He needs a lot more flotation.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex G. View Post
I'm guessing that you havent looked up the episode on the final frontier tv show then Ivan and Otz did this very project huh? Big PITA to have 2 kayaks or 6 float bouys to tie on to the wheels. Cause if your going to "prestage" floats at a predetermined water crossing, you'd be better served to just make yourself a raft with a pull rope to get yourself across. You wont get wet... your atv wont risk flipping... and you'll know your launch and land point everytime!
Besides, with the right tires and a reliable snorkle, and ATV will make it across any reasonable water.
Thanks, no I hadn't seen that show. Here it is on youtube if anyone wants to see it:
You can ATV across the water with just tires and a snorkel?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Moto Psycho

It says that video is blocked in my country (US) on copyright grounds.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

Here's a concept photo for a float on one wheel using the exercise ball...

ATV With exercise ball float.

With the bungee cords there's no way it would stay on. But with chains it should stay fixed... IMO
Old 01-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Moto Psycho

I don't think exercise ***** will give you the flotation you need. Good luck with it.