General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Help please need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please need advice

Hey I bought a 2010 rancher 420 Saturday from a store. The salesman I had said they they changed the oil and all the filters less than a hour of us getting there. I took it home n took it out to ride Sunday while checking everything b4 I ride. I not only saw mud where the air filter was located but it was water in it too plus where the solenoid cord was it has currosion plus the water and mud in their. I called my salesman about it he told me that they changed everything and hung up the phone on me. My dad took it down the road on a black top road and it backfired. After that he tried to crank it again and it did but it started rattling n made a even louder backfiring noise. Then it cut off and wouldn't crank back up. I called the salesman again the told me to bring it by Monday when they opened up. Which I did. I couldn't stay all day there so I told them to call me once they figured out what was wrong with it. I called all that day and they gave me the run around. They where either not answering the phone or telling me to hold n then hang up or the manager there just didn't answer. I finally got ahold to the manager yesterday before closing time and he said he would check on it he said they guy working on it said it was water in the motor. We didn't ride the four wheeler in water at all!!!! Not even a puddle. We didn't even put 2 miles on it. now they are saying its our fault and we did everything to it. Can someone tell me what I can do about this. Is there some type of lemon law in Mississippi for ATV and if so how many days is it?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being from NH I'm not familiar with MIssississpi law, but I do know NH has a 3 day return law...hopefully your state has something similar.

If no law is on the books then you have a couple options...but these depend on your wallet, free time & willingness to fight it out:
1) You could bring suite in small claims court - sometime just the threat of suite will cause corrective action, but be prepared to have your bluff called. If you do go down this path, do your diligence and collect any & all information to help during the hearing.
2) You could let them know that no acceptable resolution was found and that you are going to use every media source at your disposal to get your story out. There are a ton of social media outlets for you to utilize and, as a business, bad publicity can have a significant negative impact.

I'm not going to lie to you...your chances of getting favorable resolution are slim as it sounds like you don't have solid evidence against the dealership. This situation happens all the time and is extremely unfortunate. It's gotten so bad that I've given up on them entirely and perform all repairs myself.

Hopefully you can get it ironed out...

Old 03-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

unfortunately you are probably screwed.. When you seen the issues you should have loaded it back up and taken it back. Reading your above post you seen mud and water in the breather box but still went and rode the machine.. Now all you have is he said she said story.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

If you are younger than 18, they can't legally sell to you, I believe. Otherwise, see if your dad has a lawyer that can write em a letter. zrock is totally right, you should have returned it immediately. Lesson#1= Never Trust a Salesman.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I got it

Thanks everyone for giving me advice they had to fix the engine and they didn't even charge me for it.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

good to hear they stepped up and fixed it.. I would get someone to do a compression check on it for you outside of the dealer.. maby another dealer just to make sure everything is good

Old 03-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Keke1003
Thanks everyone for giving me advice they had to fix the engine and they didn't even charge me for it.

Glad to see they made good on your purchase. Hopefully a lesson learned here, always take a test ride before signing on the dotted line....if no test ride then NO sale!