General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Shunned ATV Sightings

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shunned ATV Sightings

I'm starting to notice "shunned" ATVs sitting behind the garage now that I'm an ATV enthusiasts. Shun means: persistently avoid, ignore, or reject (someone or something) through antipathy or caution.

I often wonder why the owner would park it there and leave it to rot in the elements. Maybe the rod is through the block. I often wonder how much it would take to "restore" or "renovate" an old ATV like this. I've read some projet threads here on ATV Connection and think I might enjoy doing a "make over" of one of these shunned ATVs.

Anyway, this thread is for your pictures of shunned ATVs in your neighborhood. Maybe even one of your own ATVs. Post your picture of a shunned ATV.

David

Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly don't know anyone else in my neighborhood who has an ATV but have on rare occasions seen one or another going down the road.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive around the boondocks of Maine, you can see anything. Most towns have no zoning regs, just anything is alright. I was driving in a very rural area the other day, lots of nice log home, really beautiful, then, bang, looked kinda like a plane crashed! Crappy little 1950's house trailer, and looked like a bomb went off in the yard. Some how, I don't think any salvageable atvs, never know. Probably people living there right out of" Texas Chain Saw Massacre". What I do see, a bunch of the old Honda 3 wheelers," shunned" .

Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

yep i often wonder what makes people spend all this money on a machine and just let it sit and ride it every few years if at all.. Heck i have a buddy that has a 08 with about 800km on it.. They just finished paying it off..LOL

Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Back Country Explorer

hydrex: My Colorado neighborhood is a bit like you describe yours. There is a wide variety of "value" in the properties. But I'm sure like yours, I've met a lot of nice neighbors here. I find folks fussier in the city. They might call the police and cite some ordinance against messy yards. We're more "live and let live" here in the sticks.

An old Honda 3 wheeler would be fun to restore. But I don't think they are worth much other than collector pieces. My ATV dealer has an old Honda 50 motorcycle hanging from the rafters. I'd like one of those too.

Walking the other way from my house, my beagle and I spot this antique ATV sitting in a garage. It is awful close to the garbage cans, really, really shunned. Maybe someday it will be thrown out with the trash.

David

Old 04-29-2017, 02:03 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They might belong to a son or daughter in the military.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 PM
Back Country Explorer

An overseas deployment is one of hundreds of reasons ATVs sit unused. I had a highschool classmate whose older brother was in Vietnam. His brother's 1964 black Impala Super Sport 409 4 speed sat in the old garage behind the house. We used to sneak out there and drool over it. His brother came back okay and the 409 was gone.

We humans like to dream about finding a "treasure" in an old barn, like a Porsche Speedster in good condition where the old farmer thinks it's an old VW convertible. He's willing to sell it cheap.

It pays to keep your eyes open.

David

Old 04-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this 1970 Honda ATC90. This one wasn't shunned. Three-Wheeled Wonder: 1970 Honda ATC90

Old 04-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I think with most it is a bike that was used a lot than less and less over time. They hit a point where it stops working and they can't seperate with it because they recall the fun the had. They think they will work on it or get it fixed and go back to the glory days but it never happens.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Back Country Explorer

Thanks jumbofrank for the interesting link to "barn find". I didn't know there was such a site. The ATC90 was an original. Kinda like the Model T of ATVs. It looks like someone made this one like new again. I thought they were 7 hp, but I really don't know for sure.

I was reading about the 1999 Can Am DS650. It was a sport quad on steroids. Too much power, too heavy, and not a good handler. But one of the first in this class. I think the Yamaha Raptor now owns the big bore sport quad market.

Any comments on the DS650?

David