General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2004 honda rancher TRX400FGA Sputtering in Reverse and ESP Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 2004 honda rancher TRX400FGA Sputtering in Reverse and ESP Code

Ok guys, I'm back with a new issue for the 2004 TRX400FGA I have been working on. Thanks to 'Old Polaris' i got the engine running pretty good with new carb setup. New issue now is when you turn on the 4 wheeler I get 4 short flashes of the Gear indicator follow by 1 slow flash. The display I believe shows "-- ESP" and does not give a gear designation of F N or R. I believe it is just --. I can't see it right now as it is my friends house. It WILL go into Forward, Neutral and Reverse without issue. But in Forward it will never get out of 1st gear.. In Reverse is sputters while reversing. I did read here Honda 400 ESP/Auto shifting problem [Archive] - SnowandMud.com that 4 flashes indicated:

4 flashes,gear position switch system, probable faulty part,gear position switch or related wiring or ECU

everything in this is pointing to the Gear Position Sensor inside the crankcase, I believe. Maybe wiring but not sure. I HAVE READ something about the angle sensor but when i looked on the 4 wheeler (trying to view from top right side by right knee), I couldn't see anything was connected at that front lower center where many have indicated a 'angle sensor' would be. I was going to try and angle sensor only because it is the cheapest and easiest to try. I know, I know, the 4 flashes doesn't say anything about a 'angle sensor' but doesn't hurt to try. . Anyhow, does ANYONE have any experience with this issue? If so can you help me out on this? I'm by NO MEANS a mechanic but have already replaced the carburetor and worked on dis-assembly of front brake drums, un-stick a brake cylinder on the left side brake and re-assemble and replace brake fluid with no issues, remove intake manifold and remove corrosion from valves. So I'm not really scared to work on it, I'm just not a master mechanic. SO if you give instructions please be as specific as you can as to the location of the work you need me to do and I'll happy to try and give you as much information you need to help me out. If the term 'Gear Position Sensor' is going come into play, I'm going to have to go get the 4 wheeler and put in my garage to work on. Which means i'll need a lot of time in between post to reply with information., my time is hard to come by. I have to find time to work on the machine as I have a 12 years and family to contend with as well. .. Thanks in advance, and again, ANY helpful information is highly appreciated. So please be patient with me if fair amount of time passes between posts.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, in case anyone is interested I have found the extremely thick service manual and found the CODE chart for this. Below is Codes that I have found:

Hondomatic Troubleshooting Chart 2004-2007 TRX400FA/FGA Fourtrax Rancher

ProblemCode Check Part and System Troubleshooting reference page
1 Ignition pulse generator system (Engine speed) 24-13
2 VSS system (vehicle Speed) 24-15
3 Gear position swtich system (D, N, R) 24-17
4 TP sensor sytem (Throttle angle) 24-18
5 Angle sensor system (Motor lock) 24-20
6 Angle sensor system (Swash plate angle) 24-25
7 ESP shipt switch system (Up and down) 24-28
8 ECM EEPROM (Writing/Readout circuit) 24-29
9 Mode select switch system (AUTO and ESP) 24-30
10 ECM voltage converter circuit 24-31
11 ECM fail-safe relay circuit 24-32
12 ECM motor driver circuit 24-31
13 ECM CPU 24-34
Problem code not retrievable* (Same circuit as of code 3 or 7) 24-34
Problems not detected by ECM (Faulty gear position or drive mode indication) 24-35