General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Regular Maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular Maintenance question

Hello,

I own a 2015 Polaris 570. Long story but I have not used it as much as I hoped. Something like 13 hours currently. It is sitting in my garage and will likely continue to get small amount of use over the next 2 years.

Is there anything I should do to help preserve this thing for the future when I hope to use it more?

Is there anything you guys do after each ride that I should do to preserve my atv? I am not knowledgeable mechanically so the more info the better thank you.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

One thing to do is run it every couple weeks for 10-15 minutes. Take a lap around the yard if you can. If you can't run it too often put a battery trickle charger on the battery to keep it from slowly discharging and nice and fresh for when you're ready to ride. Pre-ride checks should include oil, tires, and anti-freeze, at least. Check the owner's manual for specific things you should check.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You are not alone, many people spend big bucks on these toys only to find them not getting used much. Sort of a shame to have it just sit there and loose value without getting played with. After a few years of doing very little it will cost you in the long run but if you choose to keep it, you have to run it frequently and that means a spin around the yard. They are meant to run, not just sit, but batteries and tires will take their toll over time.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What they said. ^ Plus put Sta-Bil in the gas right after you buy it. That will keep the gas from going bad for awhile but not forever. I use that and Sea Foam both when winterizing.

I ran mine for about 10-15 minutes today while I was on the phone. I can't remember the last time I started it but it fired right up. I got lucky. I should run it more often since I don't have a battery tender. I have a flat tire to deal with too. One that never went flat before that I can recall. At this point I'll just air it up and see how long it holds. The last tire I had with a slow leak was hard to find. I had to put it in the bathtub full of water and slowly rotate it. I checked both sides and had to check again to find a small hole.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Agree with above try to fire it up and run it around for a few min to keep things loose. I would even change the oil once a year. If its going to sit its better to have no contaminants in the oil. Oil is cheap engine is not.. I don't believe in using stabilizers for winter. This is the first year i ran a stabilizer in my yard equipment and sitting fuel. 2 year old leaf blower dead, fuel can garbage nothing would run off it. Everything i did not put stabilize in ran perfect like usual.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I ever quit riding, I'd just sell mine. Even in winter(not a cold weather rider) I get out and start it up at least once a month and let it run a few minutes. I know people do this a lot, buy a new atv and then find out that they don't have time to ride it. That's why you see so many new low mileage atvs for sale on craigslist. Or they need money for something else and need to sell. They lose their job, a child on the way, need to buy a different vehicle(those 2 are usually related), have to move for a job and can't ride in the new location, unforseen medical expenses, etc.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you everyone