General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

91 trail boss coolant issues

Old 07-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 trail boss coolant issues

I purchased an old 91 350 L and after cleaning and rebuilding carb and some other issues s the old lady started up first try. I am however getting tons of white smoke out of the exhaust. I suspect faulty head gasket, or God forbid cracked head or water pump issue. I've worked on cars before but not on an atv. The Polaris manual said possibly head bolts need to be tightened. Can an atv dude help a girl determine a diagnostic flow chart to eliminate things that are working and avoid pitfalls of working in unfamiliar machines. Appreciate the help!

Old 07-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Always bleed the bolt at the back of the head(close to the temp sensor) while the engine is off until all air bubbles are removed and straight coolant flows out. Most over looked item on the 350 and 400 and can cause one to over heat and blow head gaskets,warp heads real quick if you don't.Another common problem was that the fan sensor at the top of the radiator would short out if coolant level got below it and fans wouldn't kick on.That's the reason the later models were moved to the bottom.