General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Manufacture Horse Power Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
This one? I was wondering how the Arctic Cat 700 TRV got 4.3 less hp than the MudPro. I guess it's because of the free flowing intake/snorkel.
That'll work. There used to be one from CARB, but now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen that one for a couple of years.

Polaris replaced the Sportsman 500 with the 570 which is listed as 43.7 HP. Compare that to Foreman/Rubicon 500 at 28.7 and you see they aren't anywhere near the same. They should be somewhere in the same neighborhood but the 570 has 52% more HP from an engine that's only 19% bigger. It's also more powerful than the Arctic Cat VLX 700 and only 0.3 HP less than the TRV/TBX 700. The Outlander/Renegade 570 outdoes them all at 48.3 HP which is a tie with the Grizzly/Kodiak 700 and the Mud Pro 700.

It's also interesting that the Sportsman/Scrambler 850 is 7.9 HP more powerful than the AC 1000XT/Mud Pro/TRV. That doesn't make any sense to me. 7.9 more HP from a 102cc smaller engine. The Outlander/Renegade 850 gets 0.1 more HP from 4cc more than the Polaris 850. It looks like all Can-Ams up to 650cc have a lot more power than other brands of similar size but when you get up to the 850 and 1000 they're almost identical to Polaris.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hydrex
You still have to feed them. Not everyone needs to do a wheelie every time. Torque is as important as hp, imho. But, I'll bet most folks with Hondas are very happy. My 95 year old dad , laments the end of Ford's building the Model A. Some folks loved the 40 hp VW Beetles.
I've met many Honda owners now who are not happy having a low power quad. And I never said about doing a wheelie every time. Having the horsepower and torque helps in all situations. I use mine on the farm. My uncle and cousins were die hard Honda Forman fans, but when they tried to pull a trailer loaded with wood one time up a hill and their Honda struggled, I hooked up to it with my KQ750, put it in low and away I went. The were shocked.

If Honda would increase the power of their quads to the levels of other manufactures, they would be hitting a home run, especially with the Rubicon having that awesome transmission. I would have love to own a Rubicon with that transmission and IRS, but only having 28 HP for a 500cc quad is crazy. If it made 50hp or more, I would have been all over that.