General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Big Bear 400 Stalling After A Few Minutes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear 400 Stalling After A Few Minutes!

I'll give this a shot. So, I bought a used Yamaha 2001 BB400 a month ago. The guy I bought it from said he put in a brand new carb a year before. It does look fairly new compared to everything else.

My son ran it well for the first three days... then (all of a sudden) it started stalling. Here'a what happens. Starts fine,but after 2 to 3 minutes of running it it starts to sputter a bit (maybe a back fire) and as soon as you let off the throttle (even slightly) - it stalls. Then you have to turn it off for 5-10 minutes before it starts up again. This happens every single time.

After a ton of research here is what I know:
1) Sparkplug - black and after reading a bit I guess that means it's running too rich - too much fuel.
2) Idle was low - increased idle speed at start
3) Fuel Valve - I reset fuel mixture valve on the carb (or whatever its called) to factory suggested - 2 1/2 turns
4) There is another valve on the carb facing out toward the bottom - easily accessible... if I turn it then fuel comes out of the carb? Is that supposed to happen?
5) Fuel line from tank to carb is good - fuel getting through
6) Air Filter - outside sponge is pretty clean - a little oily but I guess that's normal? AF itself is pretty clean. Outside is white to off white

Here is my concern... I'm not handy enough to take off a carb.. ain't gonna happen. I've watched videos and don't feel comfortable. If the spark plug is black (and dry) it HAS to mean it's getting too much fuel BUT... How?? I adjusted the mixture valve.. I can't see a leak anywhere...

Any help is very appreciated.. sorry for the long message!