ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/general-chat/377864-michigan-need-riding-friend-buddy-over-50-a.html)

4-tracker 09-14-2019 12:35 PM

Sounds like a pretty good plan, if you can get those springs reloaded, Leverage works good for me many times in construction, or even compressing my valve springs, need me to help in any way let me know. I'm pretty much ready at my end, just putting personals together is all.

Kymco 450i 09-14-2019 04:00 PM

Got it figured out, just a wedged bolt, not spring pressure. Gotta remove that upper bolt quickly or it becomes jammed. Gained about 1.5" in height but able to lessen spring pressure for a softer ride. Those whoops were beating me up...will see how this setup works. Also removed the sway bar, many have said it helps with off camber riding. Mine is not a race machine in any way so just trying to improve the ride on rough trails. Havent looked at weather but might be open after tues.next week.

4-tracker 09-14-2019 04:53 PM

Yeah I was wondering how you managed on the rougher roads, I know they were whooping me lol Good luck, and all week is looking real good, especially up there! Keep me posted

Kymco 450i 09-14-2019 07:42 PM

Well here is my scenerio...have to take grandson to work tue morning then free, but need to be back by sat to help neighbor pour concrete in his barn. Even though I wont be a real big help, I did tell him I would be there. So I have tues afternoon until friday afternoon when I need to head back. If I cant get up north I am going to the state forrest.
Want to try out the new setup for ride comfort, in case I need to go back on any adjustments.

4-tracker 09-14-2019 08:00 PM

Sounds like a plan, keeping fingers x'ed! Just looking forward to a good few days of good, easy ride time, and open to places you have in mind, lead the way this time if you like, with Garmin pointing the way!, keep me posted. Trails should be in good shape since very few riders up this weekend, with heavy rain tonight then dry from then on.

Kymco 450i 09-14-2019 08:34 PM

Originally had from tues until sunday but neighbor just told me this afternoon about pouring his concrete this sat comming up. I had told him some time back that I would give him a hand. Will let you know...week days ok for you?

4-tracker 09-15-2019 05:44 AM

You mentioned Tue to Fri after taking grandson to work, which sounds good to me, and with some great weather predicted! I can meet you same place on 275 at rest area, just n of I94, call me when your on your way, then I'll leave out soon after. Worked till late last night getting things checked and loaded. always forgetting something if I don't double ck. I'll cook steaks first night over open camp fire with baked taders. Bring your appetite lol

Kymco 450i 09-15-2019 09:32 AM

Comming over on 275 adds about half to three quarters hour, for me right up 23 to 75 is quicker. 75 takes me east then 275 back west is longer. Did it both ways. 4.5+ hrs using 275 and 4 hrs using 23 to 75. I have to do some service on the MH, so trying to get that done today if possible. At best...couldnt leave until tues around 11 am.

4-tracker 09-15-2019 10:28 AM

Call me when your coming up close to city of Brighton, and I'll be on the on ramp waiting on shoulder, when I see your rig, I'll crawl in behind ya. I take 96 over to 23 and that's where I'll wait until I hear from you, then I'll move closer to 23 and wait.
My son has bucket seats on his sxs and you don't feel any of the whoops, can you replace or exchange seats using same sxs bolt pattern locations? I'v got a seat from my old lawn tractor that's real cozy, any takers lol keep ya cool as well!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...1b25fd4c7b.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...d75d0f5f94.jpg
I won't need it when mowing my weeds lol

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...b5af63a141.jpg
I'll even throw in my air conditioner, just add ice cubes to fan blades lol

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...8702328461.jpg
Well I'm all loaded and ready call me when you are on your way

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...a0f07c90ff.jpg
I'll be taking my spare mower in case the grass is too tall, peddle powered, we'll need to take turns lol

Kymco 450i 09-15-2019 10:56 AM

Your sons machine has long travel suspension and much wider which equals a smoother ride! Mine is utility made for work not a comfy ride, however it does have one of the better rides of all the same type of machines that I was able to test ride. Cant compare a corvette to an suv! I am still in the planning stages, trying to get the neighbor to wait a week to pour his concrete ....still have thing to do before I am ready. B4 finding out about the concrete I was planning on a friday to monday to give m a chance to get some things done but know I have to cram. Will keep in touch

4-tracker 09-15-2019 11:27 AM

Hoping on your original Tuesday after grandson heads to work plans, have family planned on weekend, planned around our making trip during week days, which was going to be better weather wise too. I'm almost all packed n ready, hate to wait till last day to rush and forget something!

4-tracker 09-15-2019 01:56 PM

Don't laugh at me, but got windshield installed, just to be on safe side, you know how red faced I get at times w/ wind chill....breeze lol Was dripping wet and cold out there earlier getting loaded up without garage, but now its so hot humid finally dried out. Got quad so clean hate to get er dirty again, but with St Helen sand, will sand blast most of the dirt off, as long as it stays dry, like predicted! Headed back out, still aw packing!

Kymco 450i 09-15-2019 01:58 PM

Just pulled a big boner here, after last trip I wanted to replace the radiator cap so I did not tighten it down. Forgot...took mh over to clean out holding tanks and to top off with fuel. Blew all the coolant out, pegged the needle just as I pulled into drive! Let it cool down and just put 5 gallons of coolant back in. Seem to run ok, will go for another test drive tmorrow and see if all is good. Damn cant win ..gettin old crap is for the birds.....

4-tracker 09-15-2019 04:03 PM

Calm down and everything will work out fine, got plenty of time all this week! but it does suck getting older, what helps me with memory/energy is very little FOOD and tiny small portions, during breakfast, lunch, example 2'' sq slice of rye toast, topped with honey and 2 pecans, very filling and so nutritious, for lunch teaspoon size pc pepper jack cheese on trisket, tasts great, filling, and the hot pepper in cheese helps numb taste buds and appetite! I blow it big time come dinner time, Eating right while working keeps me going strong all day....well until after feeding face in evening, that is, then flat no energy, brain dead till bedtime! If I cheat during the day, like just one pc junk food, even 1 pc pizza, mind turns to soft limp spaghetti noodles, memory loss, energy shot, finding myself squatting unable to get up, or hard to get motivated, with interests, motivation gone! Our diet....or a bad diet, has a big factor on so many things, sometimes being confused/blamed with old age! Headed back out, good to know we have tomorrow still, to get last minute things together.

Kymco 450i 09-15-2019 05:08 PM

Has rained all afternoon so havent been able to get done what I wanted to. Have had rain the last few days and grass is growing really fast. Weather may delay our departure unril wed morning. Still have to see if mh is going to be ok... what a bonehead move on my part. Thank God it is full of full synthetic oil which will protect from over heat far better than dino oil.
I really dont eat that much, toast and peanut butter for breakfast, couple slices of roasted chicken and a few chips for lunch and a light dinner. Since retired my appetite has shrunk...as far as slipping in a couple cookies or some ice cream on these hot days is a weekness!

4-tracker 09-15-2019 08:07 PM

Wed. is fine, take your time and we'll have a better trip then, knowing we didn't leave things unfinished! Wish we lived closer to where I could be of some help. I'm pretty much all set and loaded, fortunately I have learned for over 40 yrs of riding, which helps me get ready almost in a day notice, to travel lite, downsizing, taking only bare essentials to get by with. We need to realize the older we get the harder it will be to continue the sport of riding/camping, with the storing, loading, upkeep, hauling if we don't make everything we do easier = more enjoyable!
Talking about doing things easier, the family is seriously talking about buying a trailer/camper and storing it on campground at st Helen, year round, which would save hauling so much up each trip, with all of the family sharing in on expenses for trailer cost, rental upkeep, would make getting there and staying there so much easier!

Kymco 450i 09-15-2019 08:28 PM

Need to look close at water pump in mh to make sure I didnt cause any damage to it...damn bone head mistake! Also have to mow b4 we leave or grass will be to high to mow when I get back. Going to go ahead and plan on wed morn to make it easier...

4-tracker 09-16-2019 12:32 PM

Good thing Dr. office just reminded me of my Wed appointment, I rescheduled for next mo. That old age memory loss is contagious lol We just cut our grass too, knowing it might be next week before getting back to it. You can't even tell I had that 700# beast of a wheeler in my van, These E series vans were made to last, might sleep out there with it tonight, imagining I'm already up north, build a little camp fire, let it smolder, and I'll sleep like a baby all night!! lol

4-tracker 09-16-2019 05:41 PM

Hows it going Ken, hopefully everything worked out fine! No news is usually good news, Fingers X'ed!! Holding breath lol

Kymco 450i 09-16-2019 06:19 PM

No sign of the water pump leaking which I was afraid might happen so mh is good to go.just talked to neighbor and he is now postponing his concrete job until the following weekend, so that could open sat in case a thur, fri sat would work better for you?
Just came in from mowing the north 40 will tackle the rest tommorow.

4-tracker 09-16-2019 07:01 PM

Ken we had scheduled tue - fri at first, then rescheduled wed morning with chores and MH problems you had, which I agreed on holding off for, have van loaded, all I need to do is put food in coolers, waiting for your green light to get a pack'en and pull out of the driveway, Sunday showing rain, can we head out still by wed morning. Sure would appreciate it!! Was telling family we'd be home by weekend from your original plans where you had to be back home to help your neighbor, so I made plans around yours. Thanks Ken

Kymco 450i 09-16-2019 08:27 PM

The nice part with the mh is that most everything is already there, not much to pack, just go thru and fill water tank, check fluids, check rire pressures, add clothes and personals. Turn on fridge and hook up the trailer. Trailer has all my riding gear so just go over my buggy, check fluids etc and load. Strap it down and ready. I keep tools etc in the buggy all the time. It is all the other stuff that has to be done before I can leave. Set out trash for tues pickup, mow grass an misc yardwork. Do my own laundry plus help the wife with her laundry, doing dishes and general housework which she hasnt been able to do for the past year. If this new treatment works then much of what I do know she will take back over herself. Right now I do it all. Have to make sure she has food essentials while I am gone so will hit grocery store tomorrow, then finnish yard mowing, then get loaded all while helping her with laundry. If it only getting me ready it would be a piece of cake!

Kymco 450i 09-16-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4-tracker (Post 3424570)
Ken we had scheduled tue - fri at first, then rescheduled wed morning with chores and MH problems you had, which I agreed on holding off for, have van loaded, all I need to do is put food in coolers, waiting for your green light to get a pack'en and pull out of the driveway, Sunday showing rain, can we head out still by wed morning. Sure would appreciate it!! Was telling family we'd be home by weekend from your original plans where you had to be back home to help your neighbor, so I made plans around yours. Thanks Ken

Fine with me just threw that out there in case it made it better for you...

4-tracker 09-17-2019 05:45 AM

Good thing were hopefully going Wed., now this morning showing cold front and rain coming in for weekend for the whole state. Is it possible we can get an early start in the morning to give us a little more ridding time in, on Wed. Thur. leaving Fri? Just talked to Chris and he said we can ride into Roscommon with sxs's, he said there's large markers just before town leading the way in out of town. We drove vehicle there last trip to check out the city, and its pretty good size. We could do lunch there before heading back, Also Trail 6 to Leota has fuel and great tavern chow. Get your gear in the rear of that MH and lets roll!!

Kymco 450i 09-17-2019 07:38 AM

Planned on hitting the road by 8am...if I leave sooner I will get into rush hour traffic thru toledo and not make headway. Should be up there by noon. As far as friday leaving, like to get hone by dark or shortly after.

4-tracker 09-17-2019 08:01 AM

GREAT NEWS, I can stop holding breath....you really had me doubting getting 0 of here any time soon! Thanks Ken. I'll double ck everything....Yippee were leaving!! I got a BIG surprise!! I'v been anxiously waiting to show you....No I ain't saying nutten....you'll have to wait!! Hint it could be food....maybe trailer....motor home....van w/ toy box....new sxs? you'll just have to wait, w/ knocking socks off super kind of surprise!
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...d8e6143a3d.jpg Possibility? This could be considered that quad 0 the mo. vehicle, right?

4-tracker 09-17-2019 09:16 AM

Detroit 4Fest offers off-roading experience in Holly this weekend

Kymco 450i 09-17-2019 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 4-tracker (Post 3424609)
GREAT NEWS, I can stop holding breath....you really had me doubting getting 0 of here any time soon! Thanks Ken. I'll double ck everything....Yippee were leaving!! I got a BIG surprise!! I'v been anxiously waiting to show you....No I ain't saying nutten....you'll have to wait!! Hint it could be food....maybe trailer....motor home....van w/ toy box....new sxs? you'll just have to wait, w/ knocking socks off super kind of surprise!
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...d8e6143a3d.jpg Possibility? This could be considered that quad 0 the mo. vehicle, right?

Might be just a little tight on them 50" trails, but I guess if a tree was in the way you could just drive over it!

4-tracker 09-17-2019 04:36 PM

Finally ALL DONE PACKING!!! Never gets easier!
Same game plan as before, where I'll be waiting in Brighton, at the on ramp to 23 from 96 ? Call me as your approaching Brighton a few min before the intersection, and I'll move closer to 23 in order to see you pass. Give me an Email as soon as your leaving the house, and I'll leave soon after. There's no rest stops in that area is why I chose this spot. Then I'll follow you all the way to St Helen....that is, if all this sounds ok with you?.Its your parade lol

4-tracker 09-22-2019 07:33 AM

Got back early evening last night, and the whole trip was terrific, temps in mid 80's lite drizzle in early morning before ride keeping dust down, also the last weekend of summer! Was going to stay until Sun. but since rail was predicted for Sat night thu Sun, so we decided to pack er up early, instead of taking a chance having to do it in the rain, up there this morning.
We finally made a trip, after planning on doing it, for 33 yrs....a round trip from St Helen to Mio, in one day....rough but some of the most beautiful trails you could ever experience, almost like a quick roller coaster ride twisting thru many elevations! We took a different rout back, but ended up being the same amt of miles, but quicker, since most of the rout was straight aways down fire trails, doing 30 - 40 mph most of the way back! I don't know now, why it took me so many years to finally attempt the journey! What a trip! Will do it again, n again, n again!
Decided to eat lunch in Mio and the first tavern we came up on, was near the entrance to town, of 72/33. A biker bar, but clean and best half # burgers ever! We eat good while riding but wear it off riding hard on long rugged trails!! Grandson made it all the way there on his 450 dirt bike, getting into Mio on fumes, not needing the gas I hauled for him, and the tank on his bike only holds less than 2 gal of gas! My recently bought and first ride on was this weekend, Polaris 1000XP handled flawlessly! the machine sounded more like a European sports car engine lol, and a real fine tuned one at that! I'm going to change the dif fluids out today, since its right at about 750 miles. Changing engine oil/filter to. Put on nearly 200 miles this weekend, wonderful trip indeed, with good friend Ken, family, and best of all the grandson, how many guys can boast of riding with their grandson, especially at my age and being able to keep up with them at high speeds, for long periods at a time....feel very blessed indeed! Most important I'm not even soar lol I cant believe it myself....I must have needed the punishment the body took lol Hope to make it back out before or during the peek colors tour, quickly coming up on us! Saw some changes of color already up there this weekend! Got a sand crusted quad to wash n polish up this morning!

Kymco 450i 09-23-2019 02:06 PM

Think I found the fan problem, the fuse holder is supposed to be attached to the rear of the battery compartment, but mine came unhooked and fell down in the engine compartment near the bottom ( long wires) down where all the mud, water, sand and all the nasty stuff is. Yep the fuse holder was packed with mud and water so tight I could hardly get the cap off. Backside where all the wires come in was also packed with mud. Finally got the fuses pulled and all the contacts were corroded, cleaned out the entire holder, used a finger nail file to clean out the female contacts and bought all new fuses. Everything seems good right now, gonna go for a long ride and try to get the fan to come on so I know for sure, however....I am quite sure I found the issue. It even starts better now. There is a fan specific fuse that is giving me some funky ohm readings so all is new now, should be good to go.

4-tracker 09-23-2019 04:44 PM

What was the fuse panel mounted with a rubber band lol I just came from the Polaris dealer and their making so many cheap fasteners anymore even on these newer machines, soft and more like disposable junk! Bought the plow as soon as I got back from trip, and I just came from my corner welding shop, and their making a mounting plate for attaching plow to quad. Thinking snow already lol

Kymco 450i 09-23-2019 04:56 PM

The clip even had a release you needed to push to get it to come off, to many rough trails I guess! Just glad it wasnt serious. SNOW. Already?? If I remember you didnt like the way the plow worked?
I am waiting until the end of Nov or first of Dec b4 I start thinking about it.....

4-tracker 09-24-2019 07:09 AM

Too many rough trails indeed! Not only was the vehicles chassis beat up, but the ol bod got its inner's racked as well, got a kidney infection going on, since I got back, with burning while going! Taking an over counter med, but still might need to get it ck'ed out, with little relief so far! I decided to get another plow, just in case we get that monster, mother of all storms, this winter, yet I didn't want to spend a lot, since their rarely ever needed! and knowing now's a better time to snatch up a fairly decent used plow, at a reasonable price, before snow starts falling, and one that would be close to matching up with my vehicle's undercarriage frame. There's only been a few times in the past 40 yrs here, that a plow was really needed. I'm hoping to get it all hooked up and working today. This plow has the rubber wiper mounted on plows blade, plus one on top to help curl the heavy snow away from coming over and out of the top of plow. Their cutting out this morning, the plow's mounting plate, from 1/4'' steel plate, then I'll take the plate and drill and mount it to frame, then line up plows pivot holes to the plate, with mock up wooden 1 x 3's in order to mimic mounting ears, marking their location on plate with felt tipped pin, so welders will know where to weld the steel ears to plate, then I'll drill 1'' holes in ears to match holes in plow to work as hinge, pivoting on 1'' steel rod they have in stock. Total cost should be close to $150 for plow, parts n labor. Then when I'm ready to ride I should be able to just pull rod to drop plow and leave plow plate bolted on, as long as it doesn't hang down too far, but if it does I'll use wing nuts, lock washers to make removing plate easier from u bolts attached to frame. Just as quick either way, but by removing plow plate I'll need to replace factory plastic dust cover, supposedly protecting bottom of engine. Bad design in my mind since that thin plastic panel serves little protection if quad ever came down on a large sharp rock/bolder piercing thru, possible damaging motor! I'd prefer leaving the steel plate there in its place, even with the mounting plate ears hanging there, we don't ride over many large obstetrical's up north here in Mi., since trails are mainly sand, only an occasional rock while climbing at times, but never bottoming out with 11'' bottom clearance on this Polaris XP. Bring on that mother storm of all times....well....after this one last, good fall colors tour ride/trip coming up real soon lol Changing out diff fluids today too. Got nearly 750 miles on, since bought new in late 2016. Got warranty transferred over to me yesterday, so not taking any chances, especially over simple maintenance procedures! From what I'm reading this model, and year 2016, has a week clutch system, weak pinion plate, and way bearing issues, that are covered under warranty, if service has been kept up!
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...6e78655319.jpg

Alex G. 09-24-2019 08:58 AM

Jeezzzzz you go thru quads like normal people go thru toilet paper... Your insurance agent will have a great retirement from your premiums...

Kymco 450i 09-24-2019 10:39 AM

Got that right, he is president of the "quad of the month" club !! When you know 4tracker you will see that each new quad is the best he has ever had, then after a month or two, it becomes the worst so he can convince his better half that he needs a different one!

4-tracker 09-24-2019 06:07 PM

Sounds like some jealously here lol This last one, be my 22nd quad ha ha, and I enjoyed ever one, and used them all and often, sometimes nearly every weekend, summer after summer winter after winter, for nearly 40 years, from way up north, to many times 2-3 times during the week close to home, with kids as they were growing up, around some pretty decent sq. miles of play areas around here, many times till late evening, winter/summer/fall/spring, they don't just set collecting dust, adding/piling up in a storage, out building lol! Yet we still managed to show up for work/kids to school next day! Wouldn't have traded a minute of those rides/days/events for anything!! Sure I could have owned a much bigger/nicer home not having owned these quads, maybe even a monster tractor, had I just stayed home like must neighbors around here do, mowing their grass and watching it grow....not me, and I'm hoping to get back out real soon, with friends/family or anybody with the desire to ride, and tear up some Mo trails before it gets too cold or wet at times, leaving my dust behind for anyone that's got anything to say about things I have owned! lol Like I had to also explain to my wife, saying I could have bought a new Polaris 1000 XP for 15 G's (nearly did) with same features mine has. then add up tax, destination fees, possibly 4-5 yr finance charge, now add a few more things like my XP has, like $400 windshield, ORV DNR permits, $300 Rock under-fender lights, $1000 5 yr. warranty! I saved enough buying used to have bought another same exact model quad, with this used one having only ridden softly, during break in procedure! This has afforded me to possibly buy 2 more, exact same style quads. Notice how quiet you 2, all of a sudden have clammed up lol Its not Quanity (quads owned) its Quality (time out enjoying atv's, experiencing differences between quads, good times, great memories, family/friends comradery while camping/riding) enjoying life that counts! Any questions!?!
Went out early to have welding shop build plow mounting plate, after my getting written quote last night from them. Met owner at door and he refused to honor the quote, saying he couldn't make it for the price I was quoted, also telling me he didn't have time anyways, telling me to leave, refusing to re quote, refusing service when asking about my getting the quote from his employees! That's fine I came home and used materials I had laying around here, like a 1'' rd rod for pivot post, Heavy u bolts, fiber blade for shaping/cutting, took a few hours but turned out real good, didn't cost me anything, plus the pride knowing I made it myself! Ready to plow!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...a2fb7ad433.jpg

Kymco 450i 09-24-2019 06:52 PM

We all have had our vises over the years, at least your gettin out doin something and not just sittin in a chair. Never can you put a price on family time! You worked hard all your life like me, so now we can enjoy whatever we want.....I made my own plow mount also and have no regrets, it works well. Keep us entertained...cant wait to see what next month brings....lol ...

Alex G. 09-25-2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i (Post 3425021)
We all have had our vises over the years, at least your gettin out doin something and not just sittin in a chair. Never can you put a price on family time! You worked hard all your life like me, so now we can enjoy whatever we want.....I made my own plow mount also and have no regrets, it works well. Keep us entertained...cant wait to see what next month brings....lol ...

I agree whole hearted with what Kymco said, I don't have nor need a plow in Virginia THOUGH! lol
I have no regrets as well... did 30yrs in the military serving our country... not sitting on my ass.
Still supporting the country by supporting Navy programs as a contractor... sitting on my ass and fighting cancer at the same time.
Not jealous, just honestly giving you a bit of a hard time is all.
Cheers and as Kymco, said, I can't wait to see what next month brings...

Kymco 450i 09-25-2019 07:50 AM

Thank you for your service !!!!