General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat

Originally posted by: 700vtwinman
Just remember the top speeds posted by the MFG's are not actual. The polaris ranger 500cc says it tops out at 41mph, and it is fairly close to that......about 37. The kawasaki mule 617cc motor says it tops out at 25mph, BUT it is govnered down. We have one for our ranch and we adjusted the govner and now it runs in the high 30's. The companies govern them down to limit their libalities.
my friend al has a ranger 500 for his farm goes a good 45 down the road

Old 02-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Kubota, if it has a diesel engine, that means its built tough and can go longer with out a rebuild and or maitenence

Old 02-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi, my family has a mule. That thing is used constantly and works great. He uses it on the farm and plows with it on his mile long road to his house on a mountain. I would suggest the mule because they will last forever and are great work vehicals. just use low range and they can do tons of stuff.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have the kubota and im scared to take it off road its just not built for it, but on the farm you cant get a better machine. If your lookin to have fun off road then i would get the rhino great power speed and 4x4 the ranger is not bad its just to bulky.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Howdy,
look at this months Dirt Wheels magazine. It has a shoot out between the Rhino and Ranger 700 XP. The ranger didnt fare too well in the test with problems like smoking belt, engine braking that is dangerous going down a steep hill, and a piece of the foot throttle broke and was later fixed. I have had a Rhino since last May and it hasnt had a problem yet. I changed the c.d.i. and can now top out at 50 mph, checked by a g.p.s. Down here in Texas the Polaris brand isnt too popular. Have a goodun!!

Old 03-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

OMG! Get a Gator!!!! The school has 2 Gators and when we ride our quads on the feild Gene Buckner comes out in his gator 4X6 and tries to chase us its soo funny! he even has a little police light on top of it!!!

Old 03-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have owned a 6x4 gator gas, 2x4 mule gas, and currently 4x4 mule diesel and kubota rtv 900. i havent ever owned a ranger but if i had the money now i would get the ranger 7000 efi, b/c the kubota is built very strong but has no power and is very slow and rough, the mule diesel has a lot of power but isnt built very strong, the gator i wouldnt reccamend to nebody, from my research the ranger is the best all around vehicle

hope this help

Old 03-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Surpised to see so many comments when you haven't said how the machine will be used. A lot of your satisfaction factor is going to depend on purchasing a machine that meets your needs... On one end, you have the Rhino that is a pretty decent fun machine and trail monster.. but on the other, you have the bobcat and Kubota which are designed for working.. If you buy one from the one end of the gene pool expecting to use it on the other and be satisfied with it.. you are going to set yourself up for a great disapointment.

You really need to decide the usage part first, then narrow your choices. To tell you the truth, although many here talk about top speed.. Many will never take a machine to it's limits more than once or twice. If all you do is heavy work around the house.. then speed is not so important.

I'll say one thing though.. although I really like the Kubota, and am amazed by the bobcat... I feel a small tractor would be much more efficient in many cases. Put a back hoe and a bucket on front and you have a very capable machine....

A modified Rhino is a great trail monster. Early models had issues with CV joints.. so don't buy anything prior to an 05. If you want speed, the C.D.I. from the Grizzley is substituted to allow for a higher top speed. You are seeing more and more "Stuff" coming out for them too. Look around, there are several sites on the web that cater directly to this class of machine and delve deeply into the meat of the subject...

Lastly, to the young man who takes great pleasure in tearing up the fields at his local school... I hope you reconsider your actions.... You are giving ATV riders a very big black eye with your hooligan antics...We are not impressed, and don't find the humor in actions like this. It is actions like this that get ATV's banned.. and turns public opinion against us all. Please stop!

Old 03-27-2005, 04:01 AM
Pro Rider

i am so excited i finally got to drive the rhino today it was an 04 and well i drove the rangers alot. my findings is you want a clumsly lumber wagon to get around with but can haul a buick get the ranger you want something fun and you can still haul alot i believe 400 pounds and in the mean time have a blast on get a rhino you won't be dissapointed there is nothing a ranger can do that a rhino can't and yet have more fun on a rhino only downside is that even though more uncomfy a ranger can hold 3 and a rhino 2

Old 04-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a little mule 2X4, single seater. It was nice enough but had no power but I liked it so decided to get a 4X4 mule. I got the top of the line at the time, it was a POS. We would drive it off the trailer and it would start making clunking noises that sound like they were coming from the rear end. It ate belts like crazy and also chewed up the clutch. The Kawasaki people tried to say we were abusing it. We drove it through deep plowed fields. Its an off road vehicle, seems like that is off road to me. I got no satisfaction from my dealer or Kawasaki so I called the AG and they said file a complaint under the Texas Lemon Law. I did and when we got ready to talk to a judge, I learned it was not covered under the Lemon Law because it is not a licensed titled vehicle or something like that. I knew some people at a golf course who had 2 or 3 mules and they told me they had similar problems and when they got it fixed after warranty was unavailable it was pretty high and wouldn't last. Kawasaki may have rengineered them, but I think the old mules were underdesigned. They were also really slow although as somebody said they were governed and could be doctored with to go faster, but that would void your warranty (which didn't seem to mean much for me) I traded mine in on a 6X6 Polaris Ranger which liked a whole lot more. That Polaris did have 1 problem the steering sucked. You had to do a lot of backing and turning. I kept that Polaris for about 3 years then traded it in on a 2003 model with Bench seat (I think it is rated as a 3 seater). They really did a good job improving the steering. The older gators were really slow, slower than the Mule, but that may have changed. I haven't messed with any of the others, but the Ranger is way superior to the Mule in my opinion.

Quick Reply: kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat