General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Duning in Rhino

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duning in Rhino

We had a blast duning with the Rhino over Thanksgiving. It exceed my expectations. I usually kept it in 2wd drive. I was wondering if the front end differential could be unplugged, allowing you to lock up the rear only. Any comments? or has anyone tried this.

We have an 2006 Rhino, Camo, BR CDI, 14" ITPs w/ 27 Mudlite WTRs, 11" rear and 9" front

Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Duning in Rhino

Dude, the rear axle is solid... one piece. it's locked always & forever. Glad you like the Rhino.

Gilbert, AZ? I use to live in Queen Creek... Miss the weather.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Duning in Rhino

That clears things up. So the differential lock is only for the front?

Old 12-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default Duning in Rhino

Correct.
2 wheel drive is exactly that, two wheel drive.
4 wheel drive is three wheel drive (one front wheel could spin while the other one just sits there)
4 wheel drive with the diff locked is 4 wheel drive, all 4 wheels moving at exactly the same speed (makes it harder to turn, though).

When I run the Rhino in dunes, I just always leave it in 4 wheel locked and high gear. Get stuck less that way, and the sand provides enough slip where it's not an issue.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Range Rover
Default Duning in Rhino

How you guys like the Rhinos in dunes ? How stable they are in dunes ? Do you put paddles on them ?
I em thinking about purchase one, but like to know more about their sand capability.
THX
rnuts

Old 12-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Duning in Rhino

I've only had mine at Pismo, so I don't know how well it will tackle the sand mountains at Glamis, but as long as I had it in 4wd locked, it went everywhere.
If you slowed down going up a hill you got stuck, but I think that's true of any machine. The 660 has plenty of punch to keep moving, even with two adults on board.
The ride was smooth, I have stock everything.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
TPR
The Champ
Default Duning in Rhino

I took my new LE out to Gordons Well...South of Glamis for those who don't know and I was shocked at how well it did in the dunes. Remember though they can be tippy if you get to crazy trying to sidehill it, but if you use discression, you can go nearly everywhere.

With stock tires, I was able to climb 1/2 way up Test Hill with a passenger aboard. With more proper tires I'd venture to do better, but I won't do that because it does enough as is.

TPR

Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duning in Rhino

I took mine down to Glamis for a couple weeks over Xmas and New Years and it was a blast. Mine is all stock. I rode with 2 other Rhino's, 1 with 4 paddles (Paddle Haulers) and the other with 27" mud light tires. We made it through 75% of the small to medium dunes. We tried Comp Hill and made 85% of the way and ran out of poop. We didn't try Olds or the other walls. We had a blast traveling in a pack! I stayed pretty much right with the other 2 Rhino's. My stock tires only lacked a little on the bottom. On the top I was able to pull the other 2, especially the one with the 27's. From what I see the stock tires do pretty well. We mostly drove in 2 & 4 wheel high. Once I had to use 4 Wheel "Low" as I couln't make it in 4 wheel hight...

Rude Dog

Old 01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
TPR
The Champ
Default Duning in Rhino

Yeah, I noticed I had a little more top end than the others with stock tires because they are a bit lighter than the mud lights.....I know that because I got a set of ML's for Christmas on 14" wheels.....man they are nice!!

TPR

Old 01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Duning in Rhino

My wife, 4 year old son and I spent last weekend at Little Sahara Oklahoma with our Rhino. I just picked it up in late November and man did we have a ball with it. I was amazed at what it did. I also had my Prairie 650 with us and the Rhino did everything we asked it to and was a lot more comfortable on an 49 year old back at the same time. We ran most of the time in 4 wheel high with the locker unlocked. I'm tickled pink with the Rhino. Watching my wife get air at the top of a dune made my day. Usually she is only interested in horses but this past weekend she was grinning from ear to ear.

Quick Reply: Duning in Rhino