General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Advice on Mammoth 800

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on Mammoth 800

Here is a link to some pics of the Mammoth giving mother nature a thrashing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

http://helidude.myphotoalbum.c...?set_albumName=album01

Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to know I'm not the only person that has bought a Mammoth! I received mine unassembled direct from China about 3 weeks ago. Assembly was fairly straight forward. It started right up and runs fine with plenty of power and looks to be a copy of the older swingarm design Ranger. However, the first time I needed the 4WD I got a surprise....it doesn't work! The rear wheels drive works fine as does the differential lock and it shifts fine but when I pull the 4WD lever down nothing happens. I emailed customer service at eBike where I bought it and they were fast to respond but thus far have been of little help. So far they have suggest a broken CV joint (even though it is brand new) due to a retainer clip left off the shaft at the factory. They quickly wrote back saying that was likely not the problem but that I should check the cable and shift arm on top of the front differential which engages the 4WD. I had already done that first thing and the arm is moving full travel when shifted so that does not appear to be the problem. Their next suggestion was that I hire a mechanic! After I explained to them that I owned and operated a power equipment company for may years and knew a little about how to work on such things they suggested that it must be something simple that would be easy for me to find and correct!

Have any of you here had such a problem? I figure that it will be fairly easy to isolate but just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions first. My problem is that I am now disabled and it is difficult for me to maneuver around under a vehicle so I am trying to get all the information I can before I start. Any help anyone can give is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old Timer

Old 11-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think that it could be a broken CV joint. That would at least make a lot of noise. Have you disconnected the cable and manually moved the arm on the transfer case all the way to the stop? It sounds like it is just not going into gear. Fortunately, I haven't had any of the problems that you guys have had. Other than the CV boot, which was my fault. The 4WD works great, but I would like to install a limited slip diff in the front. Many Polaris parts will interchange, and I think that the entire front end is a carbon copy of the Polaris. So I'm going to try to install one of those. I think that this machine is even slightly better engineered than the older Polaris Rangers, and is more serviceable. It has a way heavier rear diff than the Ranger, but this engine is WAY torquier. Hope you get your problem sorted out. I think it will be something simple, as I know that each one is assembled and tested before shipment.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

If the owners of the mammoth can give me all the information about them as possible, I would be very thankful. i want a side by side but the price tag on the name brands is expensive to say the least. Does any one have any pictures of the engine? Does the electrical system seem to be ok? How much do they way? Does the front differental have diff lock? How long is the warranty different web sights have different times for the warranty. How much did yall pay? some say about 5000 without shipping, ebay says about 5700 with shipping. is that about right?

All info would be greatfully appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Chuck Brackenbury (05-16-2020)
Old 11-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK...here goes:

If you buy from eBike you are buying from supposedly the only "Kazuma Authorized" on-line dealer there is. Mine cost me $4,995.00 plus $240 shipping to my destination. If you buy from them you better have a loading dock or a forklift and a chain because it comes bolted inside an angle iron framework with cardboard around it. The box is 10 feet long, 5 feet wide and 4 feet high. The shipping weight of the entire package is 1,797 pounds. The main part of the unit is already assembled but you have to mount the wheels (tires are already mounted on wheels), the roll cage, the seat back, the steering wheel, the bed sides and end gates, and the head rests. Then you have to connect the fuel lines to the tank and plug in the fuel pump electrical connection...as well as hooking up the battery. One word of caution...there are NO assembly instructions included so you are on your own. Also...and this took us a while to figure out.... all of the assembly hardware is in the glove compartment in the dash! There were 3 of us working on mine and it took close to 3 hours to get everything figured out and assembled. Once assembled it started right up after we put gas in it. Mine came with the motor oil, antifreeze, and transmission'differential fluids already added but I would advise you to check your unit to be sure.

The front differential does not lock....only the rear locks.

As far as warrenty....it depends on how you buy it. If you get it from eBike (which as best I can tell is actually Kazuma US or Kazuma Pacific) you will get a 6 month warrenty on parts only....no labor warrenty at all. If you buy it from a dealer you will probably get a longer warrenty but will pay more. To get the parts warrenty you have to send the old part back to them and once they verify it is defective they say they will send you a new one.

As far as the electrical system...so far so good. The only problem I have encountered so far is that one rear brake light does not work. The signal light on that side works fine so I suspect it is a defective bulb.

Fortunately someone has put the entire Mammoth owners manual on-line for free. It is in PDF format and you can download it at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.highrpmracer.net/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloadite mid=23
">http://www.highrpmracer.net/su...wnloaditemid=23
</a>

All in all, the fit and finish of the unit is pretty good. If I can just get this 4WD engagement problem figured out I will be happy. To be honest, from what I have seen so far....don't expect a lot of help from eBike support. However, when I ordered, I dealt with a young lady named Denise Pan and she was very prompt to respond to all my questions and handled my transaction very efficiently. I overnighted her a check on Tueday morning and my unit was delivered to me in North Carolina on Friday afternoon! eBike has several US distribution centers and mine came from Norcross, Georgia.

If you need anymore info you can send me a personal message through this forum with your email address and I will do the best I can to answer your questions based on what little experience I have had with mine thus far.

Hope this has been of help.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also ordered mine from eBike, but I picked mine up at Norcross GA. The assembly is pretty much just what he described, only I built mine alone in about the same amount of time. The setup is something that the average person should have no problem with. As for getting it off of the crate, I went ahead and built it in place, and then I stacked some boards behind all four tires and just happened to have some 2x10's that just perfectly into the center-section of the crate. I then just backed it off of the crate, trailer and all. I think that you shouldn't expect too much in the way of customer service, but I have found out that the majority of the breakable parts are readily available. The clutch is identical in every way to the Polaris clutch. (Probably cast off of Polaris parts.) And the whole front end is Polaris stuff. Not actual Polaris parts, but such close copies you probably couldn't tell them apart if laid side by side. Having owned 3 Rangers and a couple of Polaris 4-Wheelers I'm completely at home working on this thing. The eBike people were nice and helpful during the purchase, but I haven't had any reliability issues to really judge how they will deal with that. The engine in this thing is awesome, it is a Suzuki 3 cylinder, the same as is in the Geo Metro. No problem getting parts there. I can't see spending $13,000 dollars for a nicely equipped Ranger again, when this thing will do everything that that machine will do for half price. I think that if this thing does as well as I think it will, You will see some even cooler models in the future. I saw on a factory price list that Kazuma was developing a machine to compete with the Yamaha Rhino. While I wouldn't own any of their smaller stuff, I would easily purchase another Mammoth. I have some pics of my machine listed in this forum, and will take more pictures in the future. After roughhousing mine around for a while now, I'm convinced that it is tough enough to last.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, where are you located? There are a few warehouses that you can pick these up for free. I know that you can pick them up in Norcross GA, Houston TX, Chicago IL, and Carbondale IL, for free. And the dealer in Carbondale has them listed at $4,950. Hope this helps.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Help, I have owned my mammoth for about 3 weeks now and all of the sudden it won't idle. I checked out the carb and I noticed that there is a piece of linkage that is loose - it's the piece of linkage that the idle screw puts pressure on to increase or decrease idle speed. THis is not the idle screw that is in the body of the carb but the one on the linkage.

Can anyone take a picture of their carb linkage and send them to me or any other advice will help???

Thanks,

Paul

Old 11-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the info. I live in ElDorado,AR. What freight company hauled yalls into yalls town? I live in a small town. I think we only have 2 small truck terminals here. One being ABF Have a fedex terminal and a ups but they are mainly for small freight. I am going to check into ebike.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

Can yall give me the address of ebike? I keep coming up with electric bicycles instead of atvs

Quick Reply: Advice on Mammoth 800