General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino or Arctic Cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino or Arctic Cat

I am sure this has been asked before...............but I did a search and did not find this topic.

I am looking into getting a SxS UTV. I like the Yamaho Rhino the best, although I want to hear what people have to say about the Arctic Cat. I dont like the looks of the Ranger, so they are OUT!

If you can give me the good, the bad and the ugly on the Rhino and the Arctic Cat I would appreciate it.

If anyone knows a thread to where this has been posted already please post.

Bertman911

Old 08-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

heres a little about them. PROWLER (the bad) the cat is wider, not made a good(wires exposed everywhere, no support directly over your head, bed's shorter, spedometer and all that other stuff is in front the steering wheel, shocks mounted forward of a-arms on rear where they can get hit easier,mud protection mounted outside of frame, gas pedal is mounted to plastic just to name a few. (the good) don't know any
<u><u><u><u>RHINO</u></u></u></u> (the bad) handle for park brake needs to be bigger thats it for the bad (the good) about the opposite of the prowler plus a lot more

In my opinion the Rhino is the winner by a hundred miles.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

I like the Prowler, and I think it would be a good side x side if you just wanted to keep it stock. But I don't have as good of a working relationship with our local Cat house as I do with the Yamaha place, so I have never owned one. We have owned two Rhino 660s now. I only know one Prowler owner personally, and he now owns a Rhino 660. He thought the Rhino was better mainly because it was a little quicker than the Prowler, and because of build quality. Apparently he had several recalls done on his Prowler, and he just wasn't happy with it. I know that he dumped about $4k worth of billet parts, exhaust, and other aftermarket items on the Rhino right after he got it, so maybe aftermarket support also played into his changing brands.

As for the Rhino itself ...

Good: They are tough, reliable, and fun to drive. Handling is good stock, but tons better with long travel. They can handle more difficult terrain than a utility ATV, if they can physically fit where you are trying to go. Nearly vertical uphills and downhills are nothing at all, and even sidehills feel better on the Rhino (even at stock width) than they do on a utility ATV. They ride smoother, and taking a passenger with you that isn't riding behind you is also fun. They will easily go over a hundred miles on a tank of gas, and you don't feel beat up at the end of the day. There is more aftermarket support for the Rhino than pretty much any other single model of ATV made, with the possible exception of the Banshee, which has been around for ever. We're talking superchargers, turbos, suspension with up to 16" of travel, roll cages, bumpers, skid plates, you name it.

Bad: They are loud in the passenger compartment, and the engines (both the 450 and 660) vibrate alot. They are badly choked down in stock form, and the 660 only makes something like 23 HP. The stock CV carb is a dog, and it would be easier to get more performance out of a Rhino if it had a Keihn FCR carb like sport quads do. The 2008 Rhino should be released in early September, and if it comes with the smoother running 700cc Grizzly engine it would be worth waiting for, especially if it is fuel injected. And the Rhino would be a lot better if it had the electronic power steering of the Grizzly 700. Maybe we'll see that for 2008 as well.

DV

Old 08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked them all before I bought,and "Rhino" is the bang for the buck,ready parts and dealers. are part of buying a vehicle. Yes, the F.I will be out in December,and I would wait for it....Fuel Injection is the way....

Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't own either , in fact i don't have a need for a side by side of any make or model ; however i ride powerline right of way's that are not posted and i ran into 2 guy's who work for a contracter that does lineman work for Ga Power co ; and few other power and gas pipe line companies when i was riding some power line's near my home ! And they were riding a Rhino 660 they came up a huge hill that i alway's ride up to access the trail's on , they rode up to where i was just sitting on my atv taking a break from riding and asked me if i was broke down or out of gas ; i thought at first when they pulled up to me they where going to say something about me riding on the Ga Power Co right of way ! But like i said they said that they saw me about a mile away with a spotting scope and thought i needed help because i am a bilateral amputee ( both leg's off just below the knee's from an auto accident in 1975 ) ! I was suprised to see them ride up this steep hill i mean it's really steep and they didn't have any trouble climbing this hill at all , we talked for about an hour and they told me that they traveled all over Ga and Alabama as linemen , this Rino had a plexiglass wind sheild and hand rail's mounted to the top of the rollbar's on the both side's of the Rhino that one of the guy's said he used for balance he saiid he would sometime's have to hang way out of the Rino holding onto the hand hold's on the roll bar's when riding sideway's along some of the hill's to keep from rolling it ! They both told me their boss was tight when it came to spending money on accessories for the Rhino they made the windshield themselves and had added a canvas top to put on it when it rained ; they got those self tapping snapon's like you can get for pick up truck bed cover's ! I was riding my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 and they were impressed with the look's of my cat , it was my second ride on the cat and i didn't have but 8 mile's on it then ; they said that they have been trying to get the boss to buy a new machine and they where trying to talk him into getting something a little wider and more power and the boss said he was going to wait awhile longer to get as much mileage as he could out of the Rhino as they could ! I think but i'm not sure of the year model it was , but i think they told me it was 2 or 3 yrs old and that they where tempted to blow it up and that they rode it wide open from day one and it had taken everything they could throw at it ; their main thing they didn't like about it was it was it was so ugly ! One of the guy's kept telling the other guy that he really liked the look's and the ground clearance of my cat ; he said he thought it was the best looking quad he had seen so far and he was getting a new atv for himself and aked a lot a question's about mine ; he said i like the color ( Mine is the dark green color ) ! I offered to let them ride mine , but they said they didn't want to take a chanch of messing it up , being so new and all but the one who was looking into buying an atv said he was going check them out ; i told him i could've got it in dark green , Red or the Lime Green he said he didn't like the puke green color that was on the was the way he refered to the color of the Rhino on anything ! I've ran into a few different UTV on some trail's that they weren't suppose to be riding and seen them at dealer's , like the first one i ever saw was the Kawasaki Mule , the John Deere ; but these thing's i just don't have any use for if i had a farm or something like that it might be difference ! So i don't have anything bad or good to say about any of them ! ..................

Old 08-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

http://forums.atvconnection.co...id/26/threadid/522040

there are a lot of opinions - i bought a rhino - liked both machines - rhino is quicker but prowler is faster. rhino is more agile but also more prone to tip.

rhinoforums.net is a great site to get opinions