General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

electrical problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problems ?

05 bush hog th 440C s by s HAS INTERMITTENT ELECTRICAL SHORT I THINK. (sorry cap locks on) has honda engine gx 620 . ok here goes , starts fine sometimes , other times nothing, when u turn key on. nothing means no headlights, tail lights or dash lights. wont turn over the engine at all , wont even grunt. battery fully charged. fuses all good. ignition sw ok. here is what happens when it is running @ idle. engine dies like u turned the sw off. try to restart nothing. ok here is where it gets interesting, i think , 12volt test light hooked to neg. batt. post @ battery, test 6 fuses ,2 rows of 3 fuses, 3 test ok , 3 not lighting test light at all. hook the test light to pos. battery post and the 3 fuses that wouldnt light test light are working and the 3 fuses that worked the way they should are not working at all now. let the utv set a while , 20 mins im guessing , and it will start back up and go riding for maybe 15 mins. or maybe for several days , then it shuts down again. eng has regulator/rectifier on it , can it cause this problem ? has a fuel cut off solenoid / single wire from it. engine stop diode also / 1 wire. dont seem to run out of fuel more of a electrical problem. has to set long enough to cool down whatever part is causing the trouble. then it will start up. hope i explained that so it is clear as mud, lol. im hoping there is a tech out there that can tell me what the problem is. THANKS !

Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know if this helps,but had several problems on Swisher remote control plate kill wire shorting out from vibration. Here's a pdf manual on your Honda engine with wiring schematics that may help.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWw&cad=rja

Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

thanks for your help. the crazy thing will reverse polarity on its own. im leaning toward charging coils. ran it today with rec\reg unplugged & headlights on the whole time after a while they got dim. put meter on bat had like 5v even when i rev it up still same or v little change.plugged rec\reg back in it still only had 10.5 v @ hi rpms . tested yesterday @ 12.5 v @ idle.so there is a problem there someplace.trying to rule out the rec\reg because its easy fix and chg coils not so easy as you have to drop eng to replace that thing. so it looks like i get to drop this engine again. any more ideas i can test rec\reg with.