General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Can-Am Enters UTV Segment with New Model

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:27 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Can-Am Enters UTV Segment with New Model

These are crazy times- first we learn 2016 witnesses Yamaha's foray into the sport side-by-side market and now Can-Am is making their splash into the utility segment.

Meet Defender, BRP's latest side-by-side with utility in mind:

Can-Am Enters UTV Market with Defender - ATVConnection.com

Old 03-20-2016, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well they have been arriving in the dealers showrooms for a while now. Am really waiting for someone to do a build with a CATVOS lift kit, and some 30's on it. Also want to see what the aftermarket is doing for clutching upgrades. As Can-Am is notorious for having to modify the primary and secondary springs and weights to keep from burning up belts and Diffs. Come on guys, get building!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw this pop up and thought it was something I hadn't seen before. The Defender looks to be a strong contender in the utility utv class. Engines tuned to make a little less power than the Maverick and Commander will probably cut down on the breakage that seems to be somewhat common in those machines. 72 hp is still more than adequate but the same engine makes over 100 hp in the Maverick. I do like the removable storage boxes, those are a neat idea. And a 3 person seat instead of just 2 in everything else. I'm sure a 4 door model will be available as well.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Agree with you. Am hoping that BRP gets their Diff problems fixed. Nobody else seems to be having the issues, and they are turning the same HP. Heat and poor metalurgy seems to be the biggest culprit according to some smarter people than I. I like everything about it except the looks with the small tire/wheel combination they come with. Makes it look like a golf cart. I want to see some big meats on it, and hopefully get the diff to live with them. If you really want to be a true Ute model, then the tires need to be up to pulling some weight through a soft field. I'd also like to see some sort of 3 link hitch unit for these AKA like those used on a tractor. That would open up a whole new group of impliments for use on the range...

Old 03-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

I'll tell you one thing though, CAN-AM's in general are EXPENSIVE. Add the cab model and the price starts North of 20 Grand. That is a freeking car. And I can do WAY more with a full blown tractor than I can with a defender. If you look at Bobcat's offerings, that DO have a bunch of implements already developed for their machines, at comparable pricing, with Diesel motors, hydrostatic tranny's etc, there really isn't a value comparison that makes sense.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, not exactly a bargain. The smaller displacement offerings from other manufacturers make more sense. Honestly, a compact 4x4 truck will get way more done as far as work goes than something like this anyway. Its funny in the ad they show it towing a trailer down a gravel road. You could buy a 15 year old 4wd S-10 or Ford Ranger or something like that for under 4 grand and do the same thing and its fully street legal.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

I have an even cheaper alternative. My 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel with 62000 miles on it that is PAID FOR. Yeah, I think I am leaning towards just picking up a couple new ATV's for the Wife and I and call it a day. Mind you, a 650 XMR for her, an 850 XMR for me. Niether is cheap. But hey... nothing is. I mean I could get by with my Honda Rubicon (1996). And she could get by with her lightly used Yamaha 450 Grizzly, but I want power steering for both of us. We don't ride in big mud pudles, but having something that is capable, with the radiator mounted up top has a certain advantage to it too. I drag a lot of trees with mine. Plow snow too, and pull a yard trailer around all the time. So having a little more HP under the hood might be a good thing to have. The XMR's have stronger diffs, and even though I don't abuse them, I don't want to deal with a broken Diff either. As for the Defender... I think it will remain on the "If I win the Lotto" list of things to buy... but it definately will not be on the top of my list. I think I would tend to buy the Bobcat Tool Cat. Love my diesels. A defender on tracks with the cab and heater combination would be kind of neat to tool around in for the winter months, but I could just as easily put tracks on the ATV and have way more fun. Make for a better snow plow too. But I could get all that AND a snow blower for the Tool Cat. Yeah, that would be fun as hell cleaning off the driveway in a t-shirt and shorts. Anything to make the neighbors jealous. They already hate me for having an ATV to plow with instead of shovelling or using a comunal snow blower.