General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Is the UTV/SxS Market Saturated?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

20K+for some of these 1000cc utvs is a bit much for most. The better bargains are the smaller machines. I could buy a new Wildcat Trail base model for $8999 at my local dealer. By the time you add taxes and fees it would be about $10000 out the door. Its still a lot of money but about half what a Rzr 1000 XP or Maverick 1000 costs.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Your Question Has Been Answered By Our Editors

Congrats! We feel your question warrants deeper investigation by our editorial team. Our findings can be found on the ATV Connection homepage at the following:

Ask the Editors: Is the Side-by-Side Market Saturated? - ATVConnection.com

Old 05-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

It may be getting that way. You can go to places like Menards and buy one now.

One thing that gets me is the Razor still gets all the attention, despite all the competition. In fact, I've noticed it's got to where people just call all UTV's Razors (like how everyone calls a skit steer loader a Bobkat even when it's clear it's another brand of one). There's even a ride at the ATV Jam that is Razor exclusive, which I didn't think was quite fair if you had a Wildcat or Teryx or other. I'm not bashing the Razor (I honestly don't know much about UTV's), I'm just saying that like anything else it depends on the buyer on what feels best and features they want.

I agree the price on them is outlandish for what they are. But if people pay it...

Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by John32070
It may be getting that way. You can go to places like Menards and buy one now.

One thing that gets me is the Razor still gets all the attention, despite all the competition. In fact, I've noticed it's got to where people just call all UTV's Razors (like how everyone calls a skit steer loader a Bobkat even when it's clear it's another brand of one). There's even a ride at the ATV Jam that is Razor exclusive, which I didn't think was quite fair if you had a Wildcat or Teryx or other. I'm not bashing the Razor (I honestly don't know much about UTV's), I'm just saying that like anything else it depends on the buyer on what feels best and features they want.

I agree the price on them is outlandish for what they are. But if people pay it...
I remember when they came out. I said to myself, "That is brilliant. I hope they paid the guy who came up with the RZR a big bonus." See them everywhere now. I think the reason the RZR gets so much attention is that: 1) They came out first and were alone in the 50" side by side market for years before Can-Am and Arctic Cat jumped on the bandwagon. 2) They constantly upgrade the machines to keep up with, or stay ahead of, the competition.

The high end machines are expensive but a lot cheaper than building a sand rail or other rig that can do 80 mph in the dessert. Just random thoughts.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Good points. What gets me though is how some just buy the name instead of taking the time to judge. It reminds me of when I bought my first 3 wheeler in the mid 80's. As most may know, Honda pretty much had the market on them, but I didn't want to get a Honda just because, so I went with Kawasaki. The years I had it the unit never gave any trouble (I never really abused it) and I was comfortable on it and best of all it was the only ATC offered with a differential. I could tell this story to 20 ATC owners and I'd probably get told by a few that my story is fine, but it wasn't a Honda

If I were inclined and had the money to do so, I'd look and drive every UTV and judge a decision that way instead of just going Polaris or Can Am, just because...

Old 05-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

John32070....I have to agree with your post. In January of 2016 I bought a Kymco 450i UTV and yes I searched and read for months before deciding. Another consideration is the dealership you buy from as they can make or break a sale quickly. I did ride every UTV that I could, you would be surprised at how many do not allow a test drive other than a slow trip across their parking lot. Needless to say they did not get my business. I did end up buying what I felt had the most comfortable ride, good history, work ability, longer warranty, reputation for factory support. I went as far as to search other manufacturers forums and search for comparisons to the brand I was interested in. I did not have a 12000 plus budget to work with so it was entry level machines I looked at. So far very happy with my decision, not knocking the other brands but, do look at everything with an open mind before spending your hard earned cash!

Old 05-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I remember when they came out. I said to myself, "That is brilliant. I hope they paid the guy who came up with the RZR a big bonus." See them everywhere now. I think the reason the RZR gets so much attention is that: 1) They came out first and were alone in the 50" side by side market for years before Can-Am and Arctic Cat jumped on the bandwagon. 2) They constantly upgrade the machines to keep up with, or stay ahead of, the competition.

The high end machines are expensive but a lot cheaper than building a sand rail or other rig that can do 80 mph in the dessert. Just random thoughts.

I see coming down the road in the near future additional categories for what we now call UTV's. I see a sport class such as the Razor type machines and also a more utility class such as mine and other more utility type machines. When people start looking at UTV's and see 15-20 grand price tags it frequently turns them away before realizing that they can get a work type machine for 10 grand or less. In the Midwest area we do not have the luxury of a desert or other wide open spaces to run 80 mph so we find smaller trail systems to enjoy where speed is of far less value but utility purpose is more important. Just glad we have a variety to choose from.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
I see coming down the road in the near future additional categories for what we now call UTV's. I see a sport class such as the Razor type machines and also a more utility class such as mine and other more utility type machines. When people start looking at UTV's and see 15-20 grand price tags it frequently turns them away before realizing that they can get a work type machine for 10 grand or less. In the Midwest area we do not have the luxury of a desert or other wide open spaces to run 80 mph so we find smaller trail systems to enjoy where speed is of far less value but utility purpose is more important. Just glad we have a variety to choose from.
There are a lot of good utility machines out there for under 10K. I enjoy fast rides on my quad. If I got a UTV or side by side it would be for work 95% of the time. You don't need a fire breathing 900 or 1000 to get firewood down a steep hill. A 500 class machine will do just fine.

In New England I've gotten up to 68 mph all of two times. One was a smooth dirt road that was part of the trail system. I could see for a good mile and a half. The other was on a groomed snow trail that's on an old railroad bed. Again, I could see for a good long distance. But, mostly, you average about 10 mph in the terrain we have here.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are several that I can think of that can be had for 10K or less, real world pricing, not msrp and actually have decent performance. The Kymco 450i, Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail, Ranger 570, Rzr 570, Pioneer 500, Ranger ETX(if Polaris still makes that), and Prowler 500(all new for 2017). I have seen the base model Yamaha Wolverine priced at just over 10K as well.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by greg74
There are several that I can think of that can be had for 10K or less, real world pricing, not msrp and actually have decent performance. The Kymco 450i, Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail, Ranger 570, Rzr 570, Pioneer 500, Ranger ETX(if Polaris still makes that), and Prowler 500(all new for 2017). I have seen the base model Yamaha Wolverine priced at just over 10K as well.
I think the only places I wouldn't get a 500 class UTV would be where you're riding elevations that get into the 10,000' area like the Rockies, Paiute Trail, etc. My son and a buddy's son both rented RZR 570's when we did the Paiute. They were a little sluggish at the tops of the trail. Down around 6,000' they had good low and mid-range power.

Quick Reply: Is the UTV/SxS Market Saturated?