Deer hunting rifles - Page 8 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 07-19-2017, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I have had the pleasure of shooting an AE in 308 set up for long range competition, and just about every sniper rifle known to the Marine Corps. ( I live just south of Quantico and have shot on their range, and an outdoor range near the house, ad trained with a few of the best of the best. Those guys are awesome. My little Remington 700 SPS in .308 is kind of wimpy compared to their tools. I have a nice M1A Supermatch that I bought from one of them that shoots strictly iron sights. That will humble you for certain. That is about all. Everything I own is so dang heavy I don't think I'd want to drag it around in the field. I'd love to have a new Larue in .308, but they are real expensive. By the way, I have a Weaver 3 - 12x44 on my Remington. For the money, it works well enough for me. But again, I don't reach out that far anymore. Hunting has lost that sparkle for me I guess. WAY too much work. After blowing a knee, then litterally snapping the right foot off and going through all the therapy I just am not up to it. Add in that little thing called a double bypass I had 5 years ago... and yeah, walking around in the woods is kind of a thing of the past for me.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to hear you can't get out much anymore.
We haven't bought a pound of store bought meat in almost 30 years. We rely on deer and elk for our protein.
I keep my sister and her friends freezer stocked as well. I love hunting big game.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:56 AM
Moto Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
I bought a Browning X Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor caliber last year. Put a Vortex Viper 4x16 scope on it. Never shot a deer with a bolt action, yet. Shot most with a Savage 24V .222/20 GA , A bunch wit 12 ga buckshot, and some with this custom barreled Marlin 336C IN .358 Winchester, yup .358 Win, I stocked it myself. Trust me, they are a bitch to restock! That is the most accurate gun that I've ever shot, at least to 300 yards! With Hornaday 200 gr RN and 50 gr IMR 4064 it shoots 1/2 MOA at 300 yards. I'm hoping the Browning will come close with the right ammo. Some factory ammo shoots under 1 MOA , I don't have time or room to hand load anymore. BTW, I tried a Cabbelas scope = junk. Marlin now has a Leopold
1/2 MOA accuracy from any lever action is amazing. The stock is beautiful too. I don't think I've ever seen a rollover cheek piece on a lever action before.