Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need help: problem with torque converter rincon

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help: problem with torque converter rincon

hi everybody,

just recently bought a rincon 650 in germany. from the beginning there is a problem with the converter. if i start with cold engine just after firing it up excelleration stops after a few meters even the engine is running with higher rpms. if i let it sit and warm up for a while this problem is minimized till it fanish totally. does someone have the same problem? what is the reason for this? thanks for help.

ride safely

steff

Old 05-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

you need to let it warm up at least 5 minutes before it will run and shift smoothly. Generally that's all it takes and it will run excellent.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the answer. I do this now and it runs just fine. Do you know about the reason for this ? Does the oil need to have a certain temperature or needs the converter a certain pressure to work 100 %?
Thanks for reply

Steff

Old 05-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

that's my understanding...i'm not the expert on the technical jargon on exactly how it works but when I heard it explained it definitely had to do with the oil getting warm before the tranny functioned properly. so how do you like your new ride? I've only had mine for 6 months but I've already put the stress test on it and it performs beautifully. I love it.

Old 05-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have mine for about 6 weeks. it runs super. i like the light front , suspension and the powerfull engine. me and a friend with a praire 650 raced against eachother. the kawie is faster but not that much . the only thing i wished was different for work in the forest is the posibility for a full diff lock in the front. the limited is ok but i have to go to some places i am in need for a diff lock 100%.

the thing about the torque converter is ok as long you know about it. i think honda should at least mention it in the owners manuell so you know and are not be suprised. when i find out i was going up a hill with cold engine just running for a minute. you can imagine my face being going nowhere in the middle of this steep hill with high rpms of the engine and brakes on.
officially the rincon is not sold by honda germany. ( mine is from the US )so i asked them ( honda germany )and they gave me quite the same answer you did. but the check know with some US officials at honda. are you able to use normal roads?

Steff

Old 05-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea you have to let the Rincon warm up alittle.You can't beat the ride of the Rincon I think it is one of the best.
My Rincon

Old 05-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

i can ride on the regular roads.....if i go really fast and keep a look out for the law, because when they come around the corner I better be duckin' and dodging.

Old 05-17-2003, 04:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here in germany you have to have the street legal kit on the ATV. Then you are just fine on the roads. Most people use them just on the roads. To go Off Road you must go to special areas. Trails like the Hatfield Mc Coy are not "available".

Just a note to 650T. I do have a lot of friends in Indiana PA. ( Hopefully it is the same town we are talking about, nearbye there is are towns called Blairsville and Creekside )

How do you thinks about the engine braking at low and high speeds?

Steff

Old 05-22-2003, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with mine!
Mine was low on oil.
The dealer gave it to me 1 quart low!
The transmission uses the same oil as the engine.
It was right at the ADD mark and slipped some when it was cold.
I topped off the oil right to the full mark and it hasn't done it since.
This is also unintentional protection against running your engine out of oil.
The transmission will slip way before you trash your engine.

Old 05-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks. I filled it up with oil. It runs better now but still does that in the beginning. At a shorter term but still does it. Oil is filled till max.

Quick Reply: need help: problem with torque converter rincon