Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon drooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2000, 06:56 PM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno about the rest of you but i cant wate for the Rubicon!! and now i here that it is delayed until mid summer from the local dealer.. How many of you will pay $7K for one? how much is to much to pay? I personly wont pay over $6,500.00 because im sure we will get stuck with a few bugs on the frist year of this model like the foreman 400 crankcase breather problem, battery drain prob on the 450's and a few cases of speedo falure on the ranchres..any thoughs?
Joe

[This message has been edited by JRM (edited 01-25-2000).]

Old 01-25-2000, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wont pay anything for it, at least until it's been out a yr.Im waiting to see how that tranny holds up.And why no disk brakes?Why no selectable 2wd-4wd?It's a TOTAL shame to have a bad to the bone 4x4 like the Rubicon without the above mentioned options.After the first yr,I could be the owner of one maybe.===BILL

------------------

Old 01-25-2000, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

HONDA says it's maintness free but i still think there will problems ive never seesn or heard of atv that is truble free.

Old 01-25-2000, 08:43 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

I agree with ya on all of that bill, but honda has been useing that tranny in a lot of "japan only" bikes and 3 wheel police carts.. I have never personly seen a honda engine or tranny product that wasnt 100% perfect from day #1 (400 crankcase breather isnt really a engine problem) time will tell and a person cannot be too carful
Joe

[This message has been edited by JRM (edited 01-25-2000).]

Old 01-25-2000, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to get one after they are out a few months but im tha same as bill and wish they had disc brakes and selectable 2wd-4wd....also i would like it to have an IRS

Old 01-25-2000, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

I can't sit around for a year or two. Who knows, I could be dead and never had one! I won't wait. I'll let you know how it runs. Wonder if it will be released on 5-5-2000, the day the planets all will be aligned?

Old 01-25-2000, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

I think it will be an awesome machine. But I also would wait a year or so to make sure the bugs are worked out. As far as the disk brakes and switchable 4wd are concerned the disks would be nice but I have not personally had any stopping or sealing problems with the drums on my Hondas. I would also have no real need for the 2wd/4wd option. I would hope it has a higher top speed than my foreman. To bad I don't have $7000 laying around. Oh well to each his own.

[This message has been edited by JB_450s (edited 01-25-2000).]

Old 01-26-2000, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

I'm with TxDoc2, who wants to wait that long? I can see how it's nice to let a new technology be out for awhile, but we got a Foreman ES right after they came out, no problems with it at all. And that was a totally new technology. The Rubicon's transmission was developed in the '60's, so it almost has to be proven. I wouldn't be too worried buying a first year Honda. If they're gonna have any kinds of troubles, more than likely they will be minor things.

As for this 2wd/4wd option. Yes, it is nice, but I wouldn't let just that and drum brakes stop ME from buying one. Those two things are too minor to totally rule out buying something. There was never a quad produced that had everything a buyer wanted, and there probably never will be. And about the drum brakes, they are also not something to rule out a whole machine because it has them. Big deal. They get the job done.

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 01-26-2000).]

Old 01-26-2000, 05:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rooster is right ,there never seems to be a quad that has everything every purchaser wants.After what I've personally been thru on 2 differant KQs with drum brakes [i have heard only a few horry stories on Honda's drums]I'll not take the chance on drums again until I know for sure they wont fill-up with water/muck after a hard day in the mud.The rest is not SO important to me to stop me from buying the Rubicon,but im still waiting a yr I think.Who knows,if I test ride one once,I just might have to have it.You NEVER KNOW=====BILL

------------------

Old 01-26-2000, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Having experience with disc vs drum brakes in muddy areas I would vote for the drum brakes as they do seem to last longer under adverse conditions. I have worn out disc brake pads at Bad Luck Prairie, Fl in less than 300 miles. I've also seen Woverines go through disc brake pads at an alarming rate under very muddy conditions. But then again in dry upland conditions I have seen Polaris pads last a long time.

As for the two/fwd mode, come on Honda! Your competitor Suzuki and Yamaha have it.

------------------
Sportsman 400 "... it smells like victory!"

Quick Reply: Rubicon drooling problem