Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need HELP from Honda riders!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP from Honda riders!!!

I prefer Hondas too. But Yamaha just came out with a 450 KODIAK AUTOMATIC. It has the same drive line as their GRIZZLY (minus the engine), but NO independent rear suspension. It has selectable 4wd system: 2WD, 4WD on demand and LOCK 4WD. Its worth checking out if you are in the market for a 2wd/4wd quad. On the other hand, the RINCON is the absolute best 4x4 out there. I have seen them do alot of things and was quite impressed. I dont know if you can switch it out of 4wd though.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought somebody (probably here in the forum) said the Rubicon gets 2WD/4WD next year?????????? But, you are right, it isn't on the Honda web site.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

Considering your needs and what you described, I would rule out the Foreman 450. Its a stiff ride and probably wouldn't be good for your back condition. For what you need, I think the Rancher would be suitable. Not a bad ride, good power if your going to go hunting. On the utilities, Its good to have 4x4 to 4x2 selectable, either by Honda's Traxlock or the Warn 424 select. In july Honda releases the Honda 400 AT which has Traxlock and an Hondamatic transmission, for an MSRP of $5999. If you can't wait till then, I would go for the Rancher 350 ES 4x4, which has an MSRP of $5599. This one is a Fulltime 4x4 which is probably good for what you need, but if you did wan't a little sporty type feel to it you could purchase the Warn 424 select for about $280, which would require installation, It does come with easy to read instructions and pictures. You can view the 424 select at http://www.gowarn.com/atv_424_select.asp
As far as power, the upper grade models do have more horsepower, if you plan to tow things (trailer, etc.) or snow plow. I'd say the Rancher is good for what you need, but if you want to go all out, go for the big boy, the Rincon.
As for reliability, These honda's are bulletproof, Honda did a good job of fixing all the bugs before releasing it to the public. You will most likely have little or no problems for most of the duration you own this machine. Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

SporkBomber,

Thanks! I'm getting great feedback from everyone. The Rancher AT is looking good.

Old 06-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know much about Honda 4X4s but I did have 2 Yamaha Kodiak 4X4s that were selectable. I highly recommend getting selectable. It is harder to steer when you are in 4X4 mode since the quad really wants to go in a straight line. It seems to be worse at slower speeds or on harder surfaces. I have ridden the semi-auto types but prefer the fully automatic since you are always in the powerband.

/Jon

Old 06-22-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what you say, i would buy a rincon. I know several retired people that have ridden atvs for years and love their rincons. If it ends up being "more" than what you need, all you lost was a little money. If you don't buy enough you will loose alot of money. The top of the line will suit you fine and you can ride it all day.

If you choose the Rubicon don't even give not being able to select 2-wd of 4-wd a second thought, in 3200 miles it has never been a concern to us or affected our trail riding a bit. It seems to be more important to the people who want to slide around corners. Actually, with it being in 4-wd all the time all you do is point it and go, anywhere, anytime.

Buying the best you never have to say "I wish I had bought more".

Good luck and ride often.

Old 06-23-2003, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hey FirstTime,
If I were in your situation, I would buy a 2 wheel drive liquid cooled. About 2 vs 4, --well, if your not pushing the machine, and basically if you need 4 wheel drive on a quad, you probably won't be going in that area anyway (unless you plan on riding in snow, in which you definately want the 4 wheel drive) If slower riding is what you have in mind, the liquid cooled, at least in theory is a better machine, (slower riding=less air, less air=hotter engine) Just my suggestion, good luck with whatever you choose!!!

Old 06-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

Towards the end of last year I was trying to decide what to get for my first quad and read extensively on different forums to get some input. I ended up going with the Rincon. It probably isn't for everyone, but I have been blown away by how incredible it is for me and the type of riding that I do. It truly spoiled me quickly since I was used to driving my friends smaller rides. The ride is very plush and with a herniated disc you don't want to be in pain halfway through your ride. The rincon takes all the bumps out of the trail, you would have to ride one to appreciate how smooth it really is. The 4 wd is a complete must once you get off the trail and hit certain areas and the rincons 4wd is as good as any of the other hondas. No locker, but unless you plan to do mega mud it will do you just fine. Just telling my experience with my Honda, the big 650 may not be for you, But definitely don't rule it out and make sure you try it before discounting it because it's a little more cash. It's worth it to me to have that over the smaller rides. Whatever you get, you'll enjoy the mess out of it, good luck with your decision.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you want reliability you cant go wrong with a honda but for now you should stay away from the Rincon, its new and still has bugs and it doesn't seem like you need that much power. 2wd/4wd is what you should get. Ranchers are great. i dont know if you want the GPS and all the extras though. i have a 2wd and it gets me everywhere but there are places it would come in handy and i wish i had it. Hope that helps.

Old 06-24-2003, 02:51 AM
Trailblazer

I'm 38 and just purchased my first ATV, a Rincon, and I love it. I had rented ATV's before but I am very happy with it and I got a great deal on it and a dirt cheap extended warranty. It's very comfortable and most of my riding is along trails and mud - a total blast.
Get a Rincon!

Quick Reply: Need HELP from Honda riders!!!