Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

question on 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on 400ex

how fast will a 400ex go. think its faster than stock kfx400???

Old 08-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Slightly slower.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

My z starts pulling slowly away on the highway. I'd say maybe 2 or 3 mph tops over an ex.

Old 08-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mudslinger400Z- Any problems with your Z yet? The head of a local atv garage said that Suzuki has fixed the frame issue but I don't know if I should believe him. Any problems at all?

Old 08-01-2003, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sept. DW's- Lap times-
YFZ450- 1:45:40
Z400- 1:48:97
Pred- 1:47:31
400EX- 1:53:88

Old 08-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

suzuki did not fix the frames for the 2004's as they denied any problems with the frame in the 1st place on the z400.

Old 08-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
Mudslinger400Z- Any problems with your Z yet? The head of a local atv garage said that Suzuki has fixed the frame issue but I don't know if I should believe him. Any problems at all?
Still not had any problems Coyotechaser, I've not seen a big big power advantage over the ex though. That's my only real complaint because all the mags say the z is just a hole other class in the power department. Now the reverse is a big advantage, all my ex buddies are jealous of that. If we get to a spot we can't swing our quads around I put it down in reverse and they say f. you Joey and your stupid reverse. We dragged them and my buddy who is the ballsiest rider of us can beat me by about half a quad in about a 200 foot drag. I can get him barely in a 300 foot and top end I pull slowly away. I don't know if they fixed the frames or not. They didn't ever admit a problem but I think just by looking my frame looks weaker than an ex's frame. I don't know if they made any changes as far as using different material but I heard from a pretty reputable source that they did strengthen the welds. Like I said I haven't had any problems and I race at a track my friend has made and we race competitivly with about 15 to 20 different riders. We keep points and everything so it is pretty serious racin and so far it's held up but I'm going to get it strengthened in the next few weeks. I just hope it keeps holding together until then. I need to widen it but I kinda hate to do that since I won't fit through most of the trails we ride. I might make it a pure race bike and just use the rancher but I hate not takin my z out on the trails. I don't really know what to tell ya man. If you still want one I would recommend it but if you're worried I'd hate for you to get one and it break. If you don't really have to have reverse, you know the ex is pretty bulletproof. If you're like me you probably agree the z or kfx look better but that's really a secondary concern for a quad.

Old 08-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

coyotechaser. the reason the EX and Z's times were that much different were that the EX is stock except for tires and graphics kit. the Z had elka suspesion and a slip on exhaust.

Old 08-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I keep going back and forth from a utility to sport quads. I want to keep this next purchase for a while so I don't want to regret the purchase later. I could really use one of each but can't buy one of each.
When it comes down to it I think I really want a sport quad but a utility with 4x4 would come in handy.
So as far as a sport quad goes, I think I really need reverse for where I ride. My real choices are between the Z400 and maybe the Raptor. Although I really just wanted a 400. I like the 400ex but as I said : I think I need reverse. Someone stated on the forum (few months ago) that the 400ex looks like it's worried. I've grown to like that worried look but no reverse. I'd probably just buy a Z400 if I knew I wouldn't have to put money into it later for something besides upgrades. I'm actually having fun going from dealership to dealership and crawling around the quads.

Well, thanks for the responses everyone.

Steve7467, your right the Z had a White Bros slip on muffler.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

I have a z and I still consider it totally unfair that they upgraded that z for those test laps. They could at least have gave the ex a pipe and aftermarket suspension to be the same as the z. I race ex's at a track almost every saturday and sometimes Sunday and it is 80 or 90% rider on a track unless you have heavily modded quads against stock. Me and my raptor and ex buddy swap first, second, and thirds on our track. I've fell back to third in our homemade point series after I took a tenth place out of 12 quads. I wrecked in a sharp curve and went through the hay bails and got stuck in some mud on the other side.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] The ex's I ride with are stock except for two have pipes and they always do good unless they get bunched up early or one of them wrecks. My z only gets them on top end is my observation and we only get maybe 50 on this short track more like 40 most of the time.

Quick Reply: question on 400ex