Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Yz vs. Cr

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yz vs. Cr

IN mx racing yamaha dominates 4 strokes over Honda-so why wouldn't it be any different in quad racing.

Old 08-06-2003, 04:35 PM
KGB
Pro Rider
Default Yz vs. Cr

I don' tknow where youget that info, but Honda and Kawasaki dominate all types of motorcross/supercross right now, and it is not the bikes, its Ricky and Bubba. Its rider not manufacturer.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yz vs. Cr

Who cares about a few pros riding around on a track?? Like he said, at that level it's the rider not the machine.

I don't know about where you live, but around here (if you are not a 12 year old kid) THE BIKE TO HAVE is the CR450F!! The YZ is a bit faster, but the 03 CR has the sweetest handling frame!!

Old 08-06-2003, 05:06 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yz vs. Cr

crf450r is one sexy machine.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Yz vs. Cr

CRF/YFZ both need the oil changed after about every ride. Kinda high maintenance, seems to me.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Range Rover
Default Yz vs. Cr

who says you have to change the oil after every ride? the manufacturer's may recommend higher maintenance intervals on the yz450 and cr450, but its because they are designed as competition bikes and the manufacturer anticipates the owner to ride them hard. also if you're racing, frequent maintenance is expected. but if you're riding recreationally, 2-3 rides between oil changes is ok. those bikes, especially the crf, have smaller oil capacities so changing more often is definitely a good idea. yamaha recommends replacing rings, something like every five races, but you don't have to. my 98 yz400f went 4 years on the topend before compression started to drop significantly. and i rode it pretty hard during those years (ice racing, sand).

Old 08-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Yz vs. Cr

All my friends that have these bikes (four of them) consider the oil changes "cost of doing business" / it's OK with them. And I guess if you want a race bike, that's OK.

Me personally think it's a bit much to change the oil every 1-3 rides....But it is cheap insurance, isn't it.

On the other hand, every time I haul my toy trailer out and back, I change the oil, it's that cheap insurance thing again.

BUT take my Warrior for example, here's a horror story for ya.

MY 17 year old crashed his Warrior in one of the lakes at Florence last year. Soaked it good. he rode the thing back to camp with the crankcase full of oil and water. He then rode it like that for another few hours, until he told me about it. I dropped the oil and filter, it had more water in it than oil, dumped some new 30 wieght in there and it was good to go for the rest of the weekend.

After we got home that bike sat there untouched until we took it out again a few weeks later, rode the crap out of it, and never even thought to change the oil again till THIS YEAR. Anyway, it did not seem to hurt that machine one bit, it doesn't use any oil, the oil was still brown, not black, and there was nothing in the filter screen.....and doesn't burn but a puff of smoke now and then, Mostly when I redline the thing.

Talk about bullet proof. I would not want to treat my Raptor that way, it might be as bullet proof, I don't want to find out....

Old 08-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Yz vs. Cr

Kevin Windam has won the last 2 nationals on the CRF, he's got 5 moto wins so far this season. Tim Ferry has 1 moto win on the YZF(its the only win Yamaha has had) and thats only because RC wrecked.
The YZF has a harder hit but the CRF handles better.

As for Bubba I think he could beat everybody riding a KX65. He turning lap times on his KX125 that are faster than almost all the 250 riders are...except for RC ond Windam.

Old 08-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Yz vs. Cr

You are stupid to come in the honda forum dissing hondas, telling us how bad they are when i heard in another thread that honda cr450f has won two championships where the yz450f has won none.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Yz vs. Cr

i agree with you about the 90% rider 10% bike, i was thinking the same thing when i saw it but posted what i read earlier. i think this is one of those threads where the person who posts the thread topic is here to p!ss honda guys off and never be heard of again.