Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2004 trx 450 more info

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 trx 450 more info

ok here's somthing interesting guys . I coppied this off of atv actions web site:

2004 HONDA TRX450R!
For high-performance quad riders, no machine has been as eagerly awaited as Honda's replacement for the legendary 250R. What kind of advances would Honda's mastery of ATV engineering and more than ten years of development time produce?
Now we know. Honda's 450R is no longer something we're hoping for, it's really coming. For now, this Honda-supplied drawing of the new model will have to satisfy your curiosity about what it looks like.

ENGINE
The engine is based on Honda's CRF450R motocross dirt bike, but it's an all-new engine/transmission unit made specifically for ATV use. Because Honda is so reliability-conscious, the TRX450R will probably have a beefed up clutch and transmission and probably more cooling capacity than the dirt bike.
In order to produce instant, two-stroke-like response, and to keep the engine light, the Honda 450 uses an unusual, single overhead cam, four-valve head. Two valves are operated directly by the cam and two are operated by short rocker arms. The Honda's lubrication system is also unlike typical for strokes. Separate oil supplies lubricate the engine and the transmission.

STARTING
The CRF450R dirt bike has no electric starter, but there appears to be a very electric-starter-looking case behind the cylinder on Honda's drawing of the TRX450R. However, don't be shocked to see a kickstart-only 450R.

REVERSE
Honda wouldn't release details on whether the new 450 has reverse or not. If it does, and Honda can keep the machine's weight similar to the Yamaha YFZ450, it would give the Honda a big edge in competition and play riding.

SUSPENSION
Honda is very serious about presenting the TRX450R as a race-ready machine, and it looks like the 450 has some impressive suspension hardware. The drawing clearly shows piggyback reservoir-equipped front shocks, and we expect they are fully adjustable and rebuildable. Previously, only the Yamaha YFZ450 offered suspension with these features on a mass-produced quad.

FRAME
Rumors about the new Honda included talk of an aluminum frame, which would match Honda's use of aluminum frames on its motocross dirt bikes. Honda's drawing of the 450 shows what looks to be a tubular steel frame.

PERFORMANCE PARTS
Honda will no doubt release the 450 in a quiet, off-road-legal form. We've already learned that Honda-engineered HRC performance parts will be available for the machine to bring out its full performance potential, just as the YFZ450 can be modified by Yamaha's GYT-R goodies.

MORE NEWS
More details are the 450 will become available in time for our next issue, so look for next month's ATV Action!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I hope this ties some people over. Thers is also a website too www.trx450.com its based out a dealership in NJ( deptford honda) I bought a bike there back in the 80s... really nice owner... any how they are taking deposits.
This is all I can find as of now.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Wonder if Honda will use it oval bore, oval piston design on the new 450> 2 rods, 2 plugs, etc...

Power of a twin but weight of a single>

Old 08-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

For all who don't know about Honda's oval Piston technology you ought to brush up. It was used on and off in Motorcycle GP racing in the eighties. Then after a Hiatus Honda created the NSR 750 street bike back in 1993 ... the bikes went for 60 G apiece. I've only seen one ever. It would really put every one on thier **** if Honda did this BUTT I imagine it would be expensive. Imagine a twin cylinders benifits in a singles space. Honda Intiallly designed this for getting around a # of cylinders rule back then. It wasn't a displacement thing. Remember there is NO replacement for Displacement!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2003, 02:10 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

imagen matching that with a camless design (no cam or mechanical valves, all cylinoid and computer run) and you would have one crazy amount of power

Old 08-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

That report or information is just a whole lot of speculation e.g. "Honda's drawing of the 450 shows what looks to be a tubular steel frame."

Old 08-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: JRM
imagen matching that with a camless design (no cam or mechanical valves, all cylinoid and computer run) and you would have one crazy amount of power
oh yeah pneumatic valve actuation!!!! computer controled exhaust port! ...15,000 rpm... redline wait a minute I have a crotch rocket already!( cbr600rr)!
alas...I believe they will only meet yamaha's 450. But it will be a honda that initself makes it better...

Old 08-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

the oval tech could be a possibility. imagine all the other manufactures scrambling to catch up. where can i find out more on the oval tech?

Old 08-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Range Rover

What a waste of a read. Screaming chief wrote nothing at all. Just speculation. Honda will release everything in the near future so not to lose the market to the Yamaha. This is a business and they are after our dollars. Grow the $#@# up!

Old 08-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Imagine the bill to have your cylinder bored out. How much is next day air to Hiroshima??

Old 08-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Ky,
Why U so grumpy? You get a bad bowl of Hog Jowls?

Quick Reply: 2004 trx 450 more info