ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   How to land jumps? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/115377-how-land-jumps.html)

300exRiderJay 09-02-2003 09:27 PM

How to land jumps?

i always thoguht that you land front tire first. Im guessing that the reason behind that is that when you land on the back tires first unless you have the clutch in the engine breaking will slow the rear tires down and slam down the fron hard, but if you land on the fron the front tires will roll out and the landing will not be as rough. I usually dont but when i do i dont feel anything. Plus if you are in a rythym section then landing on the front tires will start preloading the shocks for you.

CroBiker 09-02-2003 11:05 PM

How to land jumps?

i ride a 400EX and i can garuntee u that landing with ur back hitting just before ur front makes for a quite nice landing. i jump off of dunes so my landings aren't a pre-determined distance away. although, the rear suspension on the 400EX is virtually non-existant if u land even close to a 25 degree angle (back tires first)

RedEX 09-02-2003 11:19 PM

How to land jumps?

I consider any landing good as long as you stay on the bike!

redranger1 09-02-2003 11:58 PM

How to land jumps?

yea, landing yer front tires will only work when you are landing on a down hill slope. im not very experiance at jumping courses and such, but ive been riding alot of creek beds and such since may and ive found that if you land front first on level er up hill gound, it can get real ugly real fast! me and my buddy just found a great lil revine to ride in off of our gravel road by the swingin bridge. we can jump out of it onto the gravel and ive been landin alot of jumps on one side of my rear. i know thats hard on it, but so far so good. nathan.

MDE3 09-03-2003 01:27 AM

How to land jumps?

First thing - if you are jumping anything serious - consider a serious upgrade of your suspension. No matter how good you think you are - there will be times when you land it wrong - very wrong. A top suspension can make you look like a hero - on almost any landing short of outright casing it. If your bike/atv was not built to jump on a track, then either get one that is - and set up properly, or back off - it's a fast way to the hospital. Safety is about being prepared and using the tools designed for the job.

NotuRaptor2 09-03-2003 09:06 AM

How to land jumps?

300exRiderJay...this is only true if you let off the throttle after jumping and engine braking kicks in. As long as you keep the rear wheels spinning at the same speed as when you took off, you will not experience engine braking. Obviously, you shouldn't go to the other extreme and allow the engine to rev to the moon either.

/Jon

300exRiderJay 09-03-2003 06:04 PM

How to land jumps?

i try to not rev it in the air because if it is reved too much and the tires slam it could break the chain or sprockets.