Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How to land jumps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to land jumps?

Whats the best way to land jumps. Is it better to have the rear end hit first, flat or having the front come down first? Went to a moto-x track the other weekend and had a few rough landings. LOL
Thanks

Old 08-31-2003, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

You want the back tires to land just before the front. If you flat land or land front tires first you suspension will bottom. What were you jumping with the 650 or the recon?

Old 08-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help. I was jumping my recon and thought I "should" land on the rear tires first but there was a few times that I landed flat and it was ROUGH and then there was the time I landed way to far on the back tires (aka-almost straight up) LOL. The track was a new experience for me and I did enjoy it but wished I had a better quad. All my friends there where all running 125cc moto-x bikes so I just did alot of watching and took a few pics, but I did make a few laps around it and had some fun.

Old 08-31-2003, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

yea, deffinetly dont land on the front! i landed a front landing once and flipped end over end a couple times and stopped with my quad ridin me! bad deal, but God was watchin over me. nathan.

Old 08-31-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

The ONLY time my front may land first is when I jump UP hill. And you never really complete the arc. Ya know the jumps that are 10 feet below the top..
I also prefer the quad under me when I land...

Old 08-31-2003, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

yea, this jump i was jumpin was about 6 feet below the crest. i hit it in 3rd gear hopin to get even more height and distance but learned very fast that you have to be accelerating as you leave the ground er the front end will drop first.

Old 09-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

How you should land a quad on a motocross track, depends on the area you are landing on. If you are landing on the downhill side of a long ramp (tabletop) or double, you will want to land slightly on your front wheels first, if you are landing on a flat or slight uphill, you will probably want to land a little on your rear wheel first. It all depends on the style of the jump and the landing area and how close you are to a turn when you land, if your landing area is right at the start of a turn, you don't want to be landing with your front wheels in the air, or you won't make the turn.

And maybe a motocross track is not the best place for a Recon.

PS where abouts in New Brunswick are you from, and what track were you at? I am from Moncton and ride mostly at FoxHollow, and/or Riverglade.

Old 09-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone should definitely try to avoid landing straight up and down on the rear tires/axle. This is a quick way to bend your axle since your rear shock doesn't work when landing at this angle.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yes a recon is deffintly not made for the track. BingeNut I live just outside of Fredericton and this was a homemade track out near Stanley. I didn't "plan" on landing that far back on the tires, I had just came over a nice big rolling jump a little to fast and headed strait up.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

When ur barely learning to ramp, u wanna land on the rear tires first. When u start getting into racing u get more agressive and youll find that landing on your front tires first (on the slope not flat ground) will enable you to keep the momentum up thus getting faster lap times and sometimes even passing that stuburn rider infront of you.

Quick Reply: How to land jumps?