Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 250X and Electric start kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 250X and Electric start kits

I would love to know if any of you Honda owners know of an electric start for an 84 and 87 Honda 250X.

My husband owns both and the kick starter on both of them is stubborn (to put it nicely).

Thank you for your time.

He would post himself but he is too busy working on the quads. :-)

Old 09-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I always thought the 250x were very easy to kick . He should check to make sure the decompression device is still working and the cable is adjusted correctly. As far as putting electric start on one Goki might make a system but you could use a 300ex motor and electical system . And I believe 1987 was the first year for the 250x so I dont know what your 84 is.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

After checking the titles I do see that they are both 87s. Thank you.

One is stock, in immaculate condition (we are just now changing the chain for the first time).

The other has been modified. :-) "4 Stroke Tech" on the east coast bored it out to a 350 and replaced the cam with an end result of 12:1 compression. We have no idea about the location of the decompression device.

We have ordered the repair manual. Any tips you can give on locating the decompression device till the manual arrives would be greatly appreciated.

I have sent Goki an email to find out if they make an electric start kit for the 250X.

Thanks again.

BTW the husband says the starters are NOT stubborn unless you are a girly girl. Funny I thought he liked that I am one. :-)

Old 10-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

Mine was easy as pie to kick and it always started in less than 5 kicks from dead cold. The decomp should be on the top right side of the motor. There will be an arm with a bicycle cable style cable that fits into it. It should have a cable just behind the kicker that goes up to it or something like that. I am not sure but I think when you kick down it actuates the decomp?

Old 10-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

You know ive got a 300ex head sitting in front of me that has been ported severely and has oversized valves in it. I had it on a powroll 352 stroker motor and it had some incredible top end and reved like you wouldnt believe. If you would like to try it I will sell it to you cheap. It will bolt on to a 250x but you will lose the decompression device.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thx for the offer Wistech, but I'm not sure it would do me any good. The stock 250 would require some modification to use it, yeah? And I don't want to touch the modified. Shy of putting the decompression stuff back on it possibly.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:00 AM
Range Rover

It is normal to remove or disconnect the decompression device once a cam, stronger valve springs, high compression piston and new CDI allowing higher revs has been added. Disconnecting is less preferable to removing it as it might damage your tappet under extreme use if left in a modified engine. All it does is hold open the exhaust valves when starting by holding down the tappets and blocking the return of the valves. If under extreme use and increased rpm it could flip into the decompression position it could do some damage.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think that happened to my 250, what exactly does it do not to disconnect the decompression and is it bad for the whole engine or just the head. I have blow 2 engines using a 330 cylinder, hot cam, white bro e series pipe, and a hinson clutch.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

What about converting the decompression device to manual operation? Could it be 'locked' in the inactivated condition that way?

Old 01-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

The decompression valve is held by a light spring so it is not engaged, and once the cable is disconnected does not cause a problem. More likely a problem would come from hard riding and somehow accidentally pulling the cable to the on position if it is still connected.

Quick Reply: Honda 250X and Electric start kits