Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda's Response to the Yamaha Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2000, 03:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Honda will be releasing anything soon, since there 400ex changed its color scheme for 2001. Yamaha has hit the off-road people with a bombshell. A high-performance atv with reverse/electric...thank you Yamaha..!! Now I'm waiting for Kawaski and Suzuki to hit us with their high-performance representative or they will go belly-up. You gotta love this...if this Raptor can perform like the stats are saying...it's all out war in the atv world.

juvenile,
Who said that bigger isn't better...!!!!

Old 06-08-2000, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

yea they got turbo's for 300's and 400's. Just go talk to your local Honda shop they should tell you when they are available. The guy i talked to said before the 4th of July. Also he said the new 500xr will be out by x-mas so the new 500cc quad will be out by next x-mas.

Old 06-09-2000, 12:24 AM
Range Rover

I think it will be a few years before honda does anything else in the sport market.Besides I dont think they have anything to worry about.They have the best all around package.Bombardier started the monster motor war but also put it on a tank frame.While the bomber rides really nice(weight well balanced,great suspension) and has alot of power it is still to heavy(pwr to wght ratio even with mods)and to wide for tight trails.Now yamaha responds the only way it knows how,halfdone.look at the specs on the raptor.Engine wise its superb,proven motor,great choice,will definitely be king of power.But in typical yamaha fashion they put it in a mediocre chassis.Overall weight is great,suspension on par with 400ex and Im sure it will work well for the raptor,but its a 660cc machine,come on,it should be around 11inches f&r at least,bad move.Overall length and wheelbase very close to 400ex as well as height(good move) but it is 2in narrower than 400ex with a 2in taller seat height(WHY?).Does anyone see the combo of higher sitting rider on narrower quad= being tipsy in turns at higher speeds,especially with radiator up high(also nose heavy for jumps?,can you say banshee).If only they would have made it at least as wide as the 400ex at minimum with a little more travel then they would have nailed it dead on but they didnt.Its as if they put the bada*s dune motor in a trail frame.In tight trails where the frame could shine the motors massive power will be of no extra benefit and in the dunes where the motor will shine the frame will hold it back. So just like bombardier,yamaha has made my decision easier for me. I will continue to keep my all around superb 00 400ex.If honda does decide to go big I know they will do it right,thats when the wife can have my 400ex and sell her 300ex,sorry honey,you cant have it yet.

Old 06-09-2000, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

My thoughts are that no one has noticed Yamaha math. I had a 99 Warrior that somehow weighed about 30+ lbs heavier than they claimed in the brochure (no gas). I guess that oil weighs alot. So I am not worried because I know that thing probably really weighs about 450 lbs. It seems that the manufacturers are going the wrong way as usual. Why not go for weight savings and suspension travel and handling as opposed to who can put the next bigger motor in a quad. Suzuki will kill if they put the Hayabusa motor in a quad, but that would be ***.

Old 06-09-2000, 07:44 AM
Trailblazer

DunePilot858 ride the new GSXR750, I think you will change your mind.

88 TRX270R
00 400EX

Old 06-09-2000, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think that honda is coming out with a new sport quad. They will probably make it into a 650ex. I'd buy that any day before the Raptor. That is if they make one.

Old 06-09-2000, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

I couldn't agree with you more. I think Cannondale hit the nail right on the head for which direction the market needs to go... keep the engines around 400cc, improve the technology there (fuel injection, etc.), and work on lightening up the chassis and making the suspension better.

I'm no supercross rider, but I know that my stock 400ex has plenty of power for most any chore. When I ride, I rarely hit full throttle, which means I've always got more power available. Decreasing the weight of the quad has the same effect as increasing the power. Plus, you have the enhanced handling from the lighter weight. A bigger (heavier) motor will only make your handling worse.

Old 06-09-2000, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Gooch,

Gotta luv that Handa mojo!

Old 06-09-2000, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

I'm impressed with the Raptor, but a few things bother me; Is that the same air filter setup as the Banshee that SUCKS? And the chain adjustment, same as the aforementioned SUCKY Banshee setup? And dual carbs, why not EFI? Otherwise it looks sweet, I hope they sell out, and then maybe spend a little more on R&D, and push Honda to unleash their 650EX. I won't hold my breath, but Kawasaki and Suzuki surely can't ignore the Raptor, hope they get on the stick.

Old 06-09-2000, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Ben,

I agree. Suzuki & Kawasaki are missing the sport quad revolution. I hope they come out with a new sports bike to keep the competion on there toes.

Quick Reply: Honda's Response to the Yamaha Raptor