Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will Honda enter the snowmobile industry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Honda enter the snowmobile industry?

There's a lot of threads about getting a 300ex or a 400ex, or a warrior vs a 300ex, and don't forget about the 450r.

Let's try something different.
Do you guys think that someday, Honda will enter the snowmobile industry? There really is only 4 companies in that market and I think if Honda entered the market, they could probably do a good job. Bombardier's sports division was only Ski-Doo a few years ago until they recently entered the ATV market and have taken some market share, so it would be fair for Honda to enter the snowmobile market and have a share of it as well.

The only competitors in the snowmobile market are Ski-Doo, Polaris, Arctic-Cat and Yamaha. With Honda in the market, Yamaha could probably go down really quickly. What are your opinions?

Old 10-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

2008 sounds like a good year

Old 10-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

Well to tell you the truth there are not 4 companies. There are about 8 or 9 if not more. And i am serious. Also Honda had come out with a watercraft, and what powers a watercraft is a snowmobile motor. All of Bombardiers Seadoos had Ski-Doo's motors in them. So i had heard and the word was out that Honda was suposed to have a sled come out, so i think if you give them about another 2 or 3 years they will have a sled come out. So thats atleast what some poeple understand.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think that honda is going to make any sleds ever. Even if they put one out it would probably be powered by a four stroke and nobody wants a four stroke sled.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

It was only a short time ago that no-one wanted a four stroke motorcross bike and now they are quite popular.At one time polaris sold two stroke quads and was bragging about how they were superior to four strokes because of the power to weight ratio.I would not be surprised to see four strokes make a big impact in the snowmobile industry in a few years.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just great, another industry Honda will dominate.

I don't think it is always what you want, but what your government will let you have. I don't think 2-strokes will dominate forever. Besides, a turbocharged 1235 cc sled might run pretty good.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Well all the companies are slowly entering the 4-stroke snowmobile market. Yamaha is pretty much the first company to be in the 4-stroke department, although I think there were predecessors, the Yamahas are doing a bit better than the past sleds have done. From reviews I've read, the 4-stroke engines sound nicer and they a lot nicer to ride according to some people. I think Ski-Doo has one 4-stroke model this year (excluding the Elite). With the new laws that concern 2-strokes, snowmobiles are slowly turning into 4-stroke machines...which is kind of sad in a way. The sleds of today are far heavier than they were back in the day. The best way to run them without adding a lot of weight is a 2-stroke engine. But technology always improves and 4-strokes will be the norm for snowmobiles. I love starting my sled up in the winter and seeing smoke everywhere. I guess that's why they're switching to 4-strokes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyways, I know there are/were more than 4 companies. I do know that the 4 main competitors are Arctic Cat, Ski-Doo, Polaris and Yamaha. I know Suzuki owns part of Arctic-Cat so I guess Arctic Cat will slowly turn into Suzuki snowmobiles.

At one time in the 70's, there was Ski-Doo and Moto-Ski. I think they were both Canadian. They were both in competition and eventually Ski-Doo bought out Moto-Ski. I remember the 1980 "500 Futura" was almost identical to the 1980 "5500 Blizzard". They both had the same exact motor, but I don't know about the rest of the sled. My friend had a 1980 "500 Futura", but he sold it last winter after he bought a '97 Formula S 380. He craved more when he saw an awesome deal for a '99 Warrior, so he bought a Warrior last winter too. What's really annoying is that I have a "9500 Blizzard" that's a lot more powerful than his old "500 Futura", but it wasn't in proper shape and we raced and got it on tape and he beat me. I'll never be able to beat that Futura with the Blizzard now because his Futura is gone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Even though I created this thread, I find it doubtful that Honda will go ahead with snowmobiles. I really think it would be a market that would be easily penetrable by them though. Think of their very first sled...The Honda "onetrax"...hehehehehehe. I hope someoen gets it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2003, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Specta
Well i know that won't happen, becuase Ski-Doo is number 1 so far this year, in sales. Also its more and more of the tree huggers that are pushing these companies to make four stroke machines. You give it time i am sure there won't be to many two strokes around which will suck. Everyone likes the screamin two stroke in a sled, but there is nothing that we can do about this. I would rather ride a four stroke then ride nothing at all. But by the looks of things there are lowering the emisions of the two stroke which can be good in a way.

Old 10-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TwinAir2
Originally posted by: Specta
Well i know that won't happen, becuase Ski-Doo is number 1 so far this year, in sales. Also its more and more of the tree huggers that are pushing these companies to make four stroke machines. You give it time i am sure there won't be to many two strokes around which will suck. Everyone likes the screamin two stroke in a sled, but there is nothing that we can do about this. I would rather ride a four stroke then ride nothing at all. But by the looks of things there are lowering the emisions of the two stroke which can be good in a way.
In 2003, Ski-Doo's 600 and 800's produced 10% less emissions while providing 10% more power. Interesting isn't it?

I've got 3 sleds and only 2 of them scream. My Citation doesn't scream that much at all. It sounds a bit like a chainsaw in a way though...and my Mach 1...heh that things screams.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

REDLINE SNOWMOBILES

Check this out. There is even a sound byte of their V-Twin sled engine. Sounds like a Harley. Pretty cool IMHO.

Quick Reply: Will Honda enter the snowmobile industry?