Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Tires...Kind & Size For This Situation

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Tires...Kind & Size For This Situation

My buddy just bought an 03 Rubicon and wants to take the stock tires off. He doesn't want to have to put a lift kit on it but will a fender kit. He doesn't want to notice a big power loss b/c he doesn't have any performance mods yet. He rides mostly on trails...with rocks, hard packed clay, dirt, and occasional mud. What tire would suit him best and whatt size? He is willing to purchase different rims. Thanks

Old 10-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I HAVE PUT 27" ITP'S ON MINE, BUT I DID HAVE TO RAISE IT 2". ALSO, I WENT WITH HEAVY PLY TIRES AND ALUMINUM WHEELS, MAN DOES IT RIDE ROUGH. IF I EVER DO IT AGAIN, I WILL GO TO MAYBE 26" TIRES, A MEDIUM PLY RANGE, AND RIDE INSTEAD OF RIGGING. IT DOES LOOK GOOD THOUGH.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Six months ago I purchased mudlites 26*12 rear and 26*10 front. They are lighter than most come with better than 1inch lugs that dig moderately well and a tread design that really hangs on during hard cornering. They are 6ply rated but are not too rough. My previous experience includes Mudbugs,Vampires and stock. The Mudlites suit me best.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We replaced our original tires with the same size Goodyear Mud Runners. We have been very satisfied with them in all conditions and the are wider so they protect the rims better and look good. And they don't rub on anything. They have almost 3000 miles on them and we will replace them probably within the next 1000 or so miles. They wont be bald but I don't like worn tires.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

Mud runners,mudbugs or gators would all be fine choices.I have 26x10 and 26x12 gators on my rubicon and find them great for all around riding.The mudrunners on my rancher were just as good for all around riding.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:01 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

what about the 489's wall mart sells? Every time i walk by they dont look too bad

Old 10-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Titan ATV tires went under around a year ago. If you get them and blow a tire you may not beable to get a replacement for it. Look on the side of the tire there is a little stamp with four numbers in it. The first two are the week the secound two are the year. Look and see how old they are.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Go with the ITP Mud Lite 26x10x12 all the way around. They work good, light weight and will clear the fenders. Do not use the 26x12x12 on the back the 26x10x12 fit the rim better.

Old 10-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

DO NOT GO BIGGER THAN 26" TIRES!!!!
The dealer put a lift in my buddies machine and put on the 27" Mudlites and it was useless. It took away all the low end, pushed up wehn it pulled away from stop and it would barely pull itself around. He had if for about 2 hours and took it back. Now both of my buddies run the 26" mudlites and they love them. They ride pretty smooth on hard surfaces and they corner like the quad is on rock shooting rails. I like the Mudlites because of how light they are. With the auto Tranny in the Rubi you loose a lot of the low end snap if the rotational mass gets too large so the Mudlites are a good choice considering the cost.

Old 10-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Spectra, how have you liked your Rubicon? Any problems or complaints. I've decided on eiter a Rubicon or a Foreman 450S. The dealers are wanting me to go with the 450.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Tires...Kind & Size For This Situation