Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rubicon screeching noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
TIC
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubicon screeching noise

Its making a souind that is identical to the sound of the brakes on a car when they need replaced an very noticalbe screech when driving forward after the atv reaches the speed of 8 mph. it dont do it in rverse it dont do it under 7 or 8 mph and applying the brakes dont change the pitch of the sound or lessen it any. and it will not make the noise in revers. Iwas thinking a dragging squeeking brake, a wheel bearing getting ready to go. but why only after a certain speed> and why not in reverse?

I hope its nothing to do with clutch or the hondamatic itself, Please help if you have any ideas or suggestions. this just happend 1 hour ago, I have done no investigating.
thanks again,

Old 11-17-2003, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like a brake shoe is dragging somewhere. Or you could have a rock rubbing on a drum or between your backing plate and drum maybe.

Old 11-17-2003, 08:58 AM
TIC
Pro Rider

I was hoping also that it would be that simple, but after digging into a little bit more, ive found that I can coast it down hill in neautral and it does not do it at all.

But when I put it in drive and go forward under pressure it makes the noise and the second i let off the throttle, and the transmissions starts to disingauge the noise will stop. I have a bad fealing it may be the hondamatic or the pump or the centrifical clutch? i dont know.
If ol tex mud is around here I sure could use his help

Old 11-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

now that I think about it may be a relief valve in your transmission or something pump related. Have you changed your oil recently? You may want to try that and check your filter for debris. Just an idea.